Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using Xubuntu 10.04 on an older machine with an Nvidia card. when I booted up this morning I found that I had only one workspace, no window buttons ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xubuntu workspaces and widow buttons missing

I am using Xubuntu 10.04 on an older machine with an Nvidia card. when I booted up this morning I found that I had only one workspace, no window buttons and no icons in the upper right corner of the windows to minimize quit etc.

I have tried changing the settings back using the Settings Manager, but to no avail. I have noticed in the past that the available programs to change window settings in XFCE don't always work. Is there another way to more effectively change the menu, panel and window settings?

Update:
    This appears to be a video driver problem. When I rebooted in low graphics mode my window buttons and multiple workspaces were back. I have had no end of trouble with the nvidia driver but this is the first time this problem has cropped up.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    dennisra
    Last edited by dennisra; 01-29-2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Update and spelling correction

I would try re-downloading the restricted extras. It seems an update may have replaced your previous drivers with new drivers, ones which don't work with your hardware.

you might look at the post by nathras. He seems to be having the same or similar problem.
    Last edited by MASONTX; 01-29-2012 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I'll try that.

Just Joined!
    I tried downloading the Xubuntu restricted extras, reinstalling the nvidia driver and updating the kernel, but the problem persists. I had not updated for some time before the problem arose, precisely because every time I do there is a problem with the nvidia driver.
    For now I will continue to run in low graphics mode until I find a solution

Thanks for your help.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    If you have had a kernel update the Nvidia driver should also get updated. It may be worth checking the additional drivers again to be sure.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent