Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi forum, I`m looking for a good video joiner with grahical interface. This is driving me nuts as I can not find one. The good one`s are all windows based ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Looking for a good Video Joiner , any ideas ?

Hi forum, I`m looking for a good video joiner with grahical interface.

This is driving me nuts as I can not find one. The good one`s are all windows based .

Have tried downloading :

- Ultra Video Joiner , this has a cracking interface but the task bar control - File , tools ,etc don`t work, plus it takes an hour to join 15 .wmv files and convert to .avi. It has settings for quality ,again - don`t work.

The main thing and those above are pretty much mainstream is the fact that I can not select a batch of files i.e. 30 in one go. Have to input one at a time.

Have a broken hand at the moment and it`s tough.

Yes , wine is installed from the system settings > advanced > windows applications. When I cleaned out my OS and re-booted with a live dvd it tells you that wine needs installing.

So, there`s my prob .

Any solutions are very welcome. Needs to be simlple but powerful. No command line tricks. I am after userfreindly apps.

Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Please describe EXACTLY what you mean by "video joiner". There are tools that will do what I think you mean by this on Linux, such as ffmpeg, but without understanding what you are getting at, this is just a guess, or in the technical parlance, a swag!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for your post.

Ok, so I want to join,merge,append,concatenate , whatever - take your pick , some videos together.

Tried Avidemux but doesn`t allow me to select files in a batch to speed things up , plus I can not see what file comes next especially if (the file ) belongs to a large archive.

So, I try afew other video joiners ,editors , cut-split-join utilities but they don`t do what I`m after . I mentioned earlier that I want to be able to selct files in batch and sort in the order I want. All this with a user friendly graphical interface.

I hit on this app called " Ultra Video Joiner v6.2 " and it worked all be it at 50 % , as the file, edit tools etc functions at the to of the app didn`t work- yes, you could click on them but the result was a blank square.

Same thing on settings i.e video resolucion or quality (low ,medium good high very high , etc). Just could not choose , it was set on defaults. No matter how hard you try the settings always stayed the same.

However, I did manage to merge some wmv files as a test . What a long drawn out procedure that was, selecting files one by one. Ok, that`s fine if you need to do that but if you have a batch of files which need batch joining - a nightmare. Process is deadly slow , really slow - took more than an 1hr.

So I change or should I say update my wine app to the 1.2 version and that seemed to solve the issue. I could see the menus as I scrolled along , with there boxes not empty no more but full of relevant info.

I try to load one file into the editor / joiner and still very slow tells me ( there`s a problem with the program , wine is defective have to close the program ).

There `s the prob.

Here is a link :

h**p://download.cnet.com/Ultra-Video-Joiner/3000-13631_4-10332817.html

Replace the ** with you know. Not sure whether you can give links out.

Hope that gives you a better idea.

Linux Newbie
    Ok , what I guess I`m saying is how do I get " Ultra Video Joiner v6.2 " to work on kubuntu hardy 8.04.

Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by robt23 View Post
    Ok , what I guess I`m saying is how do I get " Ultra Video Joiner v6.2 " to work on kubuntu hardy 8.04.

Thanks.
    Myself, I would run Windows XP in a virtual machine. With Ubuntu 8.04, the supported version of Wine is quite old. You may be able to install a newer one if you download and build it from WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and Mac OS X. That may be worth a try first. Anyway, here is a link to the Wine application database, so you can see this application runs on Wine, and how well it does: WineHQ - Wine Application Database

Linux Newbie
    The news on Ultra video doesn`t look good from WineHQ. Say`s that it installs ( I know that ) but does not run. Well, it runs for me only at 50 % , menus don`t work. I only get the error of when I updated to wine 1.2 .

However, the menus did work - this time at 75 % as the image quality settings etc couldn`t be changed. To make matters worse I re-installed my OS thinking this would change - Nop.

To add insult to injury I think one of my pci cards broke, That card was important as it was my digital tv.

Questions have arisen :

1 - Is it safe to run a windows app on a virtual machine. We are talking windows , the number 1 for virus attacks. I have this in repositories but wouldn`t know where to start.

2 - The second is dowload and build from source. This does not appeal to me as I am not from a tech savy background.

3 - My system relies on updates from the manufacturer . Tried 11.12 from a live cd but is full of bugs i.e. not an LTS version.

Help !

Linux Newbie
    OK, so I have looked at virtualbox , for hardy 8.04 , would this do the job. What about those viruses,

I will install if you can enforce your point.

Thanks.

I would try the 10.04 LTS version and see if it clears up your video problems.
    Registered Linux user #526930

1. Yes - I do this all the time. VirtualBox (from Oracle) is now open sourced, hence free. It has the ability to snapshot changes to the virtual disc, so you can roll back if there is a virus infection. I've done that before. Works a treat!
    2. Not really necessary.

I don't think your PCI card broke, but you may have munged the OS and/or drivers. Backup your data, if possible, and reinstall from scratch the OS. Then, install VirtualBox, create a Windows VM, and install Windows. That has worked very well for me for over 4 years now, for software that doesn't play nicely with Wine.

Linux Newbie
    I re-installed again and so glad I backup my files. Only use the boot drive for the OS and temporary files which I quickly move to a slave hard drive.

I got the 3 pci modules to work - finally, ( 2 were working initially ).

The idea of installing 10.04 LTS does make sense . Would that be the same version as 8.04.4 ?

Thing is soooo.......many peole have said that they have had few problems with 8.04.3 , which is what I am using.

MASONTX have you tried installing ultra video joiner on 10.04 LTS ?

Finally, back to Rubberman .

The question of "so you can roll back if there is a virus infection. I've done that before. Works a treat ". What exactly is that and how would I know I have picked up a virus ?

Do you have an anti-virus for windows like "everbody" who has windows OS ?

I just don`t want a virus which is one of the reasons I went for linux.

I just want to be sure.

Slowly getting there. Thanks for helping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast