Find the answer to your Linux question:
My pc took a turn for the worst, Water damage. Luckily i had a full image of its hard drive. I built a new pc and installed this image. Unfortunatly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Imaging and missing drivers

My pc took a turn for the worst, Water damage.
    Luckily i had a full image of its hard drive.
    I built a new pc and installed this image.
    Unfortunatly the motherboard etc is different but supprisingly it worked.
    But the on board network card and rs232 gave me grief.
    I installed a pci network card and this worked.
    I have specilast programmes written for me so i need to get this image to work with this new motherboard.
    If i allowed ubuntu to do its updates will it requignise the new motherboard and install the missing drivers to get this image to work with the new motherboard?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Did you have specialized drivers installed in the old system? The RS-232 should not have been a problem since serial UARTs are pretty standard parts. Network adapters have many different flavors of chip sets, some of which are handled directly by the kernel using built-in drivers, or standard loadable driver modules. The fact that an after-market PCI card worked is a good sign, though you might want to look and see what the chip set is for the built-in NIC. My guess is that the serial ports are disabled in the BIOS. You should check that out before you do anything else. In any case, post the output here of the following commands:

lspci
    lsusb
    lsmod

That will tell us what hardware and drivers are visible to the system. Also, which version of Ubuntu are you running? And what distribution+version did you run before?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!