Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Tried Xane, doesn't do what I want. Won't let me specify printer. Can't find the HPlaserjet. I can't install gscan2pdf. gscan2pdf: Depends: liblocale-gettext-perl (>= 1.05) but 1.05-6 is to be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

scan to pdf

Tried Xane, doesn't do what I want. Won't let me specify printer. Can't find the HPlaserjet. I can't install gscan2pdf.
    gscan2pdf:

Depends: liblocale-gettext-perl (>= 1.05) but 1.05-6 is to be installed
    Depends: sane-utils (>= 1.0.17) but 1.0.22-2ubuntu1 is to be installed
    Depends: libtiff-tools but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libconfig-general-perl (>= 2.40) but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libarchive-tar-perl but it is a virtual package
    Depends: libset-intspan-perl (>= 1.10) but 1.16-1 is to be installed
    Depends: libreadonly-perl but it is not going to be installed

Would someone please translate as to what's missing?

I also want Open Office instead of Libre and can't install that, either.

How are you trying to install it? Looks like missing dependencies, meaning there is a problem in the repository.

As for Open Office, libre office is the same thing at this point so not sure why change it. The differences are minor, most distros have chosen Libre Office because they have guaranteed continuing open source with their code and are more responsive to our needs as a community. If you want OOo still, download the .deb from their site and install it using terminal sudo dpkg -i PACKAGENAME

If you didn't know Libre Office is just a fork of Open Office, identical starting code, and since it's so new, very little has been changed.

Lastly, you can scan easily to jpg and then convert with one command:

Convert jpeg files to PDF under Linux | bitPrison.net

Edit: For more on the topic of LibreOffice vs. OpenOffice please read this thread

http://user.services.openoffice.org/...ic.php?t=35136
    Last edited by jmadero; 02-07-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Adding Material
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    Trying to install from Software Center. It's listed. How do you fix a problem with the Repository? I'm using 11.04, but not the Unity Desktop.

I don't want the extra step of having to save to a graphic and print from there. Both the old Epson and the newer Canon scanners can scan to pdf, or print instantly. Why can't Linux do this? If Ubuntu can recognize the scanner and the printer - then scan to print should be feasible.

I actually would like a copy of WordPerfect for Linux. Corel had one out when I bought WP9. (Which I still use.)

Xane won't recognize the printers. I have 2 working printers. If I tell Xane to search - it doesn't find any printers. I have an HP laserjet and a Canon Pixma. They both work.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    well, that still didn't say why you want OpenOffice over LibreOffice so I'll leave that aside for the time being.

When you say xane won't recognize printer, I assume that is scanner as xane handles scanners, cups handles printing -- even if it is the same device.

As for fixing the repository, you can't, you can manually track down the files by googling "FILENAME Ubuntu package", you'll be able to find them all and install the manually. Reporting the broken dependencies is always nice if you can do so (I believe launchpad handles broken repo bug reports)

If you could provide the printer/scanner models I'll do some googling. Make sure that you have libsane, sane-utils, sane all installed. I would recommend installing from synaptic not software center as software center lags and hides a lot of things. To get synaptic, open a terminal and do

sudo apt-get install synaptic

Sorry at work so I'll have to investigate a bit later but if you provide those model numbers I'll look into it. I'll also see if I can install that pdf scan software that you were trying to install.

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    I think the forums are having some kind of issue. I tried to sign in with FF and immediately got signed out. I'm on Opera now.
    Both Opera and FF put up some kind of popup, and I have popups blocked in both browers.

About the printer - the usual printer used is an HP Laserjet 1300.
    I also have a Pixma, but that is used with Photoshop. I just checked to see if it would work in Ubuntu.

I was using an old Epson from 1996. It did work in Ubuntu as a scanner only. It died from old age, and I installed a Canon Lidoscan.

That also works as a scanner with no problems.

I installed some kind of HP toolbox called HPLIPS? for a problem with slow printing. The issue turned out to be a Firefox rather than a Ubuntu problem, so I never pushed it.

However, after Xane couldn't find a printer, I tried to use the HP toolbox, that couldn't find the HP1300, either.

Everything works - just not together.

Thanks

Sorry I haven't had the time to check on these things but will try this weekend. Did you make sure you have sane installed and all of the other packages I listed?

Just Joined!
    Xane saw both scanners. It won't select a printer. There is a print function that will let you add a printer. That HPLIPS doesn't find the HP Laserjet, either and that's supposed to be some sort of CUPS. So something is missing somewhere. Synaptic is already in the administrator menu. I've marked for install in Synaptic and got the same error message. I've tried terminal. Same message.

The printer works from the net, Office, Gimp, text editor. So Ubuntu does see the printer.

Like I said, I can save as jpg, but it's faster to boot into the XP drive and copy from there if Ubuntu can't or won't do it.
    What is Ubuntu doing with the new all-in-ones? I won't buy one as I don't want a fax machine and prefer a separate printer.

As to why WordPerfect - it's called reveal codes which you can edit on the fly and see results at the same time.

if you're coding why don't you use emacs, I think it's the most used software for coding. As for the printer, I am asking sane not xane. I'll continue investigating but from quick google searches it seems like other people have it working so there's got to be a solution

Just Joined!
    I'm not coding. I understand some - but whatever the Commodore 64 used. The terminology of Linux has me buffaloed. How do I install sane/sane-utils? app-get?

Thanks

Your best bet is to install synaptic

Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Then start installing sane packages from within synaptic -- it is much cleaner than the Ubuntu software manager.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast