Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
You need to boot into text mode (runlevel 3) in order to build the nVidia driver. You should be able to switch to that runlevel with the "telinit 3" command ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

You need to boot into text mode (runlevel 3) in order to build the nVidia driver. You should be able to switch to that runlevel with the "telinit 3" command as root (sudo) from the command line. First, switch to a command-line console (Ctrl-Alt-F2 works), then login and execute "sudo telinit 3". This should shutdown the Xorg server so you can then install the nVidia driver.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    Thanks Rubberman for joining. Mentally speaking I am at a real low right cause I`ve been at this for like 10 hours straight.

I shut down the x servers but what I get is a GDam black screen. How am I supposed to install the driver. Terminal does not work , I don`t have function keys because I own a Dinovo min which btw, does not work well.

I don`t get login the execute, where ? Help. Please.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok.

Step 1, pour 1 shot of straight whiskey (Scotch, Irish, Kentucky, whatever).
    Step 2, drink
    Step 3, go to step 1...

After a few iterations of this loop, it won't seem to be such a big problem!

Linux Newbie
    I wish, I don`t drink. Never have ,was an athlete until my back started to eat me alive.

The pc is all I have. I live just for my pc. That`s life.

The black screen IS the terminal. You just type the same things you would type in the normal console. Reread my post above.

And yes, if you're using KDE, then change gdm to kdm.

Quote Originally Posted by robt23 View Post
    I wish, I don`t drink. Never have ,was an athlete until my back started to eat me alive.

The pc is all I have. I live just for my pc. That`s life.
    Well, it's never too late to start (drinking, that is)! It will also help with the back stuff as well!

I'm not sure why more people aren't saying upgrade! 8.04 is nearly 4 years old. Maybe I missed something scanning through the posts but upgrading is your best bet, even getting on Beta 12.04 would be better than 8.04
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

restart the system, if you get a grub menu then highlight the Ubuntu menu entry and press e to edit the entry and go to the line starting with kernel= and add a space and the word text to the end of the line then press ctrl+x to boot the system.
    This should start the system and drop you to a terminal without starting the X server.
    I'm assuming your using grub2 ... further info here

Linux Newbie
    Thanks Jonathan183, will give this a try.

I don`t get " a grub menu ". When I do a restart all there is is a black screen with loads of writing. Ihave played around many times with my hard drives and so the bootup order changes when I re-install them.

In short, I press the "supres" key afew times on boot and this brings me to the bios menu where I can configure the drives. Can all this be done from there. It has many headings but the screen is all white with blue text ?

Two other things. Have only one pce-i slot which is taken up by a pce-i Raid Rocket sata controller . This card enables my bios to detect a 3 tb hard drive. Well, replacing it with the gt210 the 3 tb drive doesn`t function and not only that, the whole OS stalls.

Can I install the driver without the gt210 in place ?

Complicated !!

Thanks.
    Last edited by robt23; 02-15-2012 at 06:27 PM.

press the shift key at boot should display the grub menu ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast