Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
robt23, not much else I can add at this moment other than it can be done, I just installed that same driver just a couple of weeks ago. I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

robt23, not much else I can add at this moment other than it can be done, I just installed that same driver just a couple of weeks ago. I am still running 8.04 and will continue to as long as I can. I personally like KDE 3 over KDE 4. It sounds like you need to get a regular keyboard for your machine. Is this NOT possible? Just keep listening to what these guys are telling you. They're telling you right, but it can seem over whelming if you've never done it before. It's REALLY not that difficult. But, you HAVE to stop the video drivers before you can install the new ones. Hence stopping kdm and dropping to a shell. Once you figure it out, you'll be laughing at yourself for making it so hard. Be aware though that once you do this you will need to LOCK your kernel, or ANY kind of kernel update will cause you to have to reinstall the video drivers again. Any kernel driver will wreck the video driver install! Locking the kernel is not hard, just open synaptic and search for "linux-headers", highlight the newest ones and under "Package" at the top you will see a lock option. Click it and you should be good to go. If I'm wrong, someone here will straighten it out for you.

Don't give up, make it happen!

Webby

Be forewarned that locking your kernel means no upgrading, meaning no bug fixes (if any exist in your current kernel) & no possible performance upgrades which we often see with new kernels. Not sure what kernel you're running but 3 is relatively new and we're seeing improvements weekly in performance with newer releases
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Linux Newbie
    The " press shift key on boot", seems ok , so I can see this grub menu. I don`t like the idea of not being able to update any more . This would be the case should I block the linux headers using synaptic.

I will try the shift on boot option first.

What happens if by some miracle I get the driver installed and my card plugged in. What about my 3 teras of hard drive. This will not work any more. That`s concerning me as I have most of my precious recordings there.

Took me the better part of the day last time to get the system back to normal after trying to install this card.

Thanks guys for the help.

Linux Newbie
    This is what I am trying to install .The NVidia gt210 evg8 driver :

wget http://es.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...x86-290.10.run

chmod 755 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run

I have copied and pasted all at once ,also one by one. Same result _

- Error because no card detected
    - Error because I need to stop x server

These are the steps I have gotten to with some help.

reel@ReelBox:~$ sudo passwd
    password for reel: reel
    Introduce new password UNIX: Introduce new password
    passwd: password correctly changed
    reel@ReelBox:~$ su
    Password: What you have previously entered
    root@ReelBox:/media/hd/home/reel#

That last line means that I am now a root user, but nothing happens ! Where do I go from here ?

The last line just keeps repeating like this pressing enter :

root@ReelBox:/media/hd/home/reel# <--- and the cursor flashes here

There`s no way I can enter ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run hence installing the driver.

Do I tye control + x ? My Dinovo mini does not have a shift key. I use this because it is small and easy to use. I don`t have the luxury of space.

Please hel me with what I have. Never thought it would be as difficult as this.

Upto that # symbol is where I need the solution. I assume this is my terminal ! Right.

Over to you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by robt23 View Post
    wget http://es.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...x86-290.10.run
    chmod 755 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run
    ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run
    .... root@ReelBox:/media/hd/home/reel# <--- and the cursor flashes here

There`s no way I can enter ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run hence installing the driver.
    the wget should download the file
    chmod changes properties of the file
    ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run will try to execute the binary.
    Does the file get downloaded? use
    Code:
    ls -l
    and check if the file is executable after the chmod command, check the file is in the current directory after su eg use ls -l again.
    If the file is not in the current folder then you need to specify the path to it eg /home/your_user_name_/Downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run

... or are you getting no response to input from the keyboard after you su ?

Linux Newbie
    The card is not in place at the moment ,was hoping to install the drivers before I put it in.

Before I could download the program now I get a "error 404 file not found" from nvidia.

The main problem ,I think - we have is the trying to get what the other person is saying. In many walks of life this the case but in IT it is even more.

You are tryin your best to get that info to me but it`s just not getting there.

I really would like a step-by-step guide, I mean -

1- You don`t need the card to load the drivers
    2 - Open terminal and type whatever
    3- etc.etc.

I know I am a sorry case but I am useless at computing .

Thanks for helping though.

Linux Newbie
    i just pasted my original install commands and this is what was thrown back.

reel@ReelBox:~$ wget http://es.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...x86-290.10.run
    --22:13:24-- http://es.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...x86-290.10.run
    => `XFree8...x86-290.10.run'
    Resolving es.download.nvidia.com... 195.57.81.19, 195.57.81.26
    Connecting to es.download.nvidia.com|195.57.81.19|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
    22:13:25 ERROR 404: Not Found.

reel@ReelBox:~$
    reel@ReelBox:~$ chmod 755 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run
    chmod: cannot access `NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run': No such file or directory
    reel@ReelBox:~$ ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run

Ain`t got one iota of what the hell is going on.

Hope one of you guys can translate to english.

Thanks. PS. the card is not installed i.e. not in the pci-e slot.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    1. You cannot install the nVidia driver without the card being installed physically in the system. Sorry, but no way, no how!
    2. You have to be in text mode in order to install the driver. You can do this if you switch to an alternative text-based console using the Ctrl-Alt-F2 key combination. Do these steps:

a) Logout of your user session.
    b) At the login prompt, switch to a text console using the Ctrl-Alt-F2 key combination.
    c) login at the text prompt
    d) execute the command "sudo telinit 3". If that works, your GUI will be shut down. At this point, you can install the nVidia driver.

Note, before you install the driver, but after switching to text mode, you will have to black-list the nouveau driver, otherwise the nVidia proprietary driver won't load. You can search this site for how to do that - it is a common issue.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    I tried putting this line in terminal :

sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

This is what I got back.

reel@ReelBox:~$ sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
    sudo: unable to resolve host ReelBox
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

This is going no where. What about my 3 tera drive ,how will that work !!!!!!!!

This is futile guys. I don`t want to do something and then I lose what I have now ,which is 3 drives working but video playerd are lagging codecs.

If someone can say ,"hey , that 3 tb drive is no problem, just plug in as normal and tye in xyz in terminal .That will make your bios detect the drive".

Problem is I think I am on a 32 bit OS or mother board.

More problems. If you can solve that I will get this driver going.

Just Joined!
    Is the operating system on one of these three drives? Unless you just decide to format the drives, you "shouldn't" lose what's on them. If the operating system is on one of these, you still shouldn't hurt it installing the video driver. When I click on the link you supplied for the driver it comes up with the 404 error just like you said. I think you're using the wrong link.

Try this one: es.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/290.10/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run

Also, there was a new driver out on Feb. 13, 2012. It is 295.20.run. I always like to wait on new drivers since sometimes there are issues with them. I know the 290.10 works fine in 8.04.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast