Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Originally Posted by robt23 I tried putting this line in terminal : sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau This is what I got back. reel@ReelBox:~$ sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau sudo: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

Quote Originally Posted by robt23 View Post
    I tried putting this line in terminal :

sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

This is what I got back.

reel@ReelBox:~$ sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
    sudo: unable to resolve host ReelBox
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
    reel@ReelBox:~$

This is going no where. What about my 3 tera drive ,how will that work !!!!!!!!

This is futile guys. I don`t want to do something and then I lose what I have now ,which is 3 drives working but video playerd are lagging codecs.

If someone can say ,"hey , that 3 tb drive is no problem, just plug in as normal and tye in xyz in terminal .That will make your bios detect the drive".

Problem is I think I am on a 32 bit OS or mother board.

More problems. If you can solve that I will get this driver going.

Did you read what I said? You have to BLACKLIST the nouveau driver. It is usually built into the kernel, so trying to remove it is futile!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    I started another install again, see if i can get things going.

Thought at one point i had installed it when the nvidia blue-redcolors said ,"do you want the install to configure the x conf.org or something file on reboot", i said yes.

The phrase- istall complete. I pressed the enter keyy and I was back at the terminal asking for a prompt. I entered that sudo /etc/inin.d/kdm start line , think it said password or something. Entered pass and said that the ect line was not found.

Triied sudo init 2 , command not recognized,whatever.

Typed sudo reboot and things started moving ,well, I found myself back at a black screen with a huge red cross in the middle.

I did the process over and same black screen with big red cross.

I could not use my pc . Removed the card and put the dvi to where it was and rebooted. It rebooted but all i could see was a black screen.

Hey guys, this is giving me an idea for a book titlted,"Nightmarre on PC".DDeadly serious.

where do i go from here. I seem close - btw. had to pput in a recoveery cd to gett to bboot the pc.

Hey guys, please tell mehow I can use my 3 tera disc cause the os id not recognizing it.

Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Boot to text mode and remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf - the latest xorg servers will interrogate the hardware on boot up so it is often unnecessary, unless you are using really old video displays that don't talk to the system nicely! I've had this same problem when telling the nVidia installation script to update xorg.conf, so I don't any more. Once I have configured xorg.conf to what works best for me, I back it up, and leave it alone. FWIW, you can boot into text mode (run level 3) and manually edit xorg.conf, run startx to see if it works, and if not you will get a lot of error messages from the X server to help sort this out. Then you can re-edit the file and run startx again, ad "hopefully not" infinitum!

Following this scenario, sometimes it helps to run the nvidia-xconfig tool first and look at it to see what it thinks your system has installed, graphics-wise. Then you can edit that as per above.

Linux Newbie
    In a nut shell all I nedd do is omit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file . That`s fine but how am i supposed to edit the file manually ? with what? what do I put in it ?

Why not do something easy like trash that etc and let peace reign.

Then the drivers should install. right ?

In any case how am I supposed to watch my beloved movies off my 3 tera hd if I can`t use it any more ?

I really would like clarification on that one.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by robt23 View Post
    In a nut shell all I nedd do is omit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file . That`s fine but how am i supposed to edit the file manually ? with what? what do I put in it ?

Why not do something easy like trash that etc and let peace reign.

Then the drivers should install. right ?

In any case how am I supposed to watch my beloved movies off my 3 tera hd if I can`t use it any more ?

I really would like clarification on that one.

Thanks.
    Frustrated are we? Been there! However, once you get it set up, it works a treat. Using my 8800GT board, I can run full-screen HD videos on both 24" displays without stutters and hiccups!

Anyway, boot into the system - when you get to the big red X or black screen, try pressing the key combo Ctrl-Alt-F2. With luck, that will bring up a console with a login prompt. Login as root and then execute the command "telinit 3". That will close down the X server, allowing you to do stuff like install the nVidia driver, etc. At that point, execute the command "nvidia-xconfig" which will create the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as nVidia sees your video hardware. You can then use vi to edit that file.

So, again we try to give you a "cookbook".

1. Boot system into runlevel 3 (using boot option or Ctrl-Alt-F2 w/ telinit 3 command).
    2. Add nouveau to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file. The entry should read "blacklist nouveau" on a line by itself.
    3. Reboot into runlevel 3 - now the nouveau driver will not be loaded into the OS.
    4. Remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    5. Install the nVidia driver, but DO NOT let it run the x configuration tool.
    6. Run the command startx to see if the x server starts and gives you a GUI.
    7. If 6 doesn't work, run the command "nvidia-xconfig"
    8. Go to #6 above.
    9. If #8 doesn't work, edit the xorg.conf file with the command "vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf" and goto #6 again! ...
    10. Remember, Google is your friend!

Finally, you can post the output of the errors from startx here and that may help us help you figure out what is wrong!

Linux Newbie
    Impotant point : I do not have blacklist.conf file,have six others named :

- blacklist
    - blacklist-framebuffer
    - blacklist-modem
    - blacklist-oss
    - blacklist-scanner
    - blacklist-watchdog but no darn blacklist.conf !!!!

The `cookbook` method smells like a recipe for success.

Onward. I will give this a shot and will output the errors if, when I get them.

Lets imagine the `Yessssssssssss`,scenario and drivers installed and I have my nvidia menu ,whatever......

What about my 3tb hd .Works off a pci-e card which lets the bios detect it. This very same slot is where the nvidia card will go. only one slot. In theory will have no hard drive and have tried this in realtime; I just take out the card and plug it straight to the mother board. Result, no detection of hard drive!!!!!!!!!!!

It ain`t over yet.
    Last edited by robt23; 02-19-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Linux Newbie
    There`s Good and Bad news.

Good news is I/we got the driver working.
    Bad news is when I reboot ,seems the pc can`t find the image for the OS. So , I`m on the black screen cause the pc can`t find the image and it asks me for login pass etc.

In short have to install the driver everytime I start the pc.

Something ain`t right. The screen is night and day compared to how it was before.

Nearly forgot to say that I got the 3 tera disc to work without the pci-e card.

I`m gonna do a factory re-set see if that clears things up and start fresh.

See what happens.

Just Joined!
    thanks a lot guyz

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4