Find the answer to your Linux question:
i was trying to install ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop today through a bootable USB, and i was shown only 2 options: erase all/ something else. i understand there needs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question install ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop

i was trying to install ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop today through a bootable USB, and i was shown only 2 options: erase all/ something else.
    i understand there needs to be three options the other option being install alongside windows. this option was not shown.

how can i get the other option ? or is this how it is, only two options would be shown to people who use laptop.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by sidhu177 View Post
    i was trying to install ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop today through a bootable USB, and i was shown only 2 options: erase all/ something else.
    i understand there needs to be three options the other option being install alongside windows. this option was not shown.

how can i get the other option ? or is this how it is, only two options would be shown to people who use laptop.
    Boot your live CD and have a look at the partition structure using gparted. I would expect to see anerror icon on your NTFS drive. If you right click you can get more details which if they haven't changed will be:

Boot into windows
    Run 'chkdsk /f'
    Reboot into Windows TWICE (yeas really)

Then run your installer again.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!