Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by elija The : after the user name also sets the group to be the same as the user name. The chmod then sets some sensible permissions. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    The : after the user name also sets the group to be the same as the user name. The chmod then sets some sensible permissions.
    I think now it's OK. Tomorrow i try to copy some files to an external HD and open it on another PC/Mac.

After you copied the files to the new location (as root) the files became the property/group of root. So you need, as Elija pointed out, to use root or sudo to read/write them somewhere else, then use chown/chmod to set the permissions the way you want them.

Can you explain what you meant by
    In order to be able to copy the the data i needed to change to root user, otherwise i was not able to copy them.
    Are you saying that you had to login as root on a Ubuntu system and you were not able to do this while using sudo?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Are you saying that you had to login as root on a Ubuntu system and you were not able to do this while using sudo?
    As normal user the system told me that i had not the permission to copy them. Once switched to root it worked and i copied them to the root home folder.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    OK, now it is ok. The only problem is that the 29Gb space of these files is still occupied, even if i have deleted them...

When you deleted them, did you check to see if they went into the Trash?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    When you deleted them, did you check to see if they went into the Trash?
    no didn't. But now if i try to empty the trash from root, i gives me an error that the operation is not allowed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2