Find the answer to your Linux question:
All I want to do is rip a VOB file format to an MP4. I have stuff I recorded OTA, and want to run it on an Android tablet just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dependency error messages

All I want to do is rip a VOB file format to an MP4.

I have stuff I recorded OTA, and want to run it on an Android tablet just to have something to watch.

The app I'd like is Iriverter, it sounds ideal.

However, try to install it using software or Synaptic I get an error such and such lib file is not installed, such and such a file will not be installed.

I have no clue where to find these files, and am getting annoyed. Why can't the error message give me a clue of what I'm looking for and WHY it won't be installed.

Right now I'm using 11.04. I did install Medibuntu. I'm hesitant to mess with much as I have Skype set up and working perfectly. Family member is in UK, so sound needs to work.

I can post the error tomorrow from the Ubuntu desktop.

I would also like a book on using half this stuff, but stuff written for Non-Geeks just tells you how to set up and use Facebook, and a lot of geeks don't use what I'd call decent English. They can spell and punctuate, but no one seems to know what an antecedent is! What is the Which you are referring to, and how about a glossary?

Thanks

I like Ubuntu - I have no problem using most of the software. I don't have to deal with Internet Exploder and Quicktime.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There is only one Linux tool that I use for video transcoding, and that is ffmpeg. It is command-line, but works a treat! I use it to transcode DVD's and other video formats into ones that my Android phone can play. There are a gazillion options that are only useful for professional use, but the basic operation is simple:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input-file -target output-type -sameq output-file-name
    If the output results in some badly sync'd audio, then after -sameq (output video quality == input video quality) I will add "-async 20" which will synchronize the audio tracks every 20ms, though if the input audio is more than 2 channels, it may give an error, in which case I just leave it off, and use my audio player's tools to adjust (if available, such as one can do with VLC).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I like Ubuntu - I have no problem using most of the software. I don't have to deal with Internet Exploder and Quicktime.
    Isn't that Internot Exploder and Quicksand?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    That's the kind of stuff I would like in a book - examples of how to do what I want. Command lines don't bother me - it's just what I'm commanding.

The last time I tried using a DVD player, I didn't realize that Linux doesn't see the drive unless there's a disc in it. I managed to mess up the microphone for Skype and couldn't get the sound back. So I just installed 11.04 from a CD instead of fussing with 10.10.

I'm totally new with video. I've never really bothered. I've always done still and some light animation. Audio, on the other hand - I worked for a marketing company that placed and edited radio commercials. I don't really know how to sync the audio and video.

I'll try it on the desktop. Thanks for the reply.

I hate Quicktime. It takes over every audio, graphic, and video file.
    I've hated it since it first came out. Exploder also goes back to 4. I ran a shell to get rid of it.

There are a lot of great tools for Linux A/V work, some of which are command-line tools, and others are necessarily graphically oriented ones. For example, for audio programming/mixing, a lot of people like Audacity, and for video they like Cinelerra and kdenlive. These are all graphically oriented. However, for simple streaming, or transcoding of one video format to another (and simultaneous conversion of one audio format to another in the output video) there is only one tool worth looking at, and that is ffmpeg. I had purchased some really good Windows tools back quite awhile ago, but none of those compared for even a second to ffmpeg, and as they say, the price is right! Interested, there is a lot of info on the ffmpeg.org web site.

Just Joined!
    I'll look.

Run though that command again, please?

ffmpeg -i xxx.vob -target xxx.mp4 -sameq output-file-name?

Now I'm lost. What's the target if mp4 is the output?

Quote Originally Posted by weezyrider View Post
    I'll look.

Run though that command again, please?

ffmpeg -i xxx.vob -target xxx.mp4 -sameq output-file-name?

Now I'm lost. What's the target if mp4 is the output?
    Close but no ...

The -target option is the output type, such as ntsc-dvd, pal-dvd, etc. The "output-file-name" would be something like xxx.mp4, etc. In cases where you aren't too concerned with the output type, such as mp4, or mkv, then skip the -target option and just specify the output file. It will usually choose correctly based upon the output file extension. Anyway, visit ffmpeg.org and look at their more complete documentation there.

Just Joined!
    I did look - found the tutorials, but both said OUT OF DATE. I got in trouble following an out of date tutorial before.

I do want to convert from VOB to MP4. Slightly smaller. I don't want to burn a dvd, just save the MP4 as a file and transfer to tablet by using a card reader for the Micro card.

The rest of the stuff didn't make any sense. I need a book written in English and not geek for commands.

Thanks