Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmadero
Hello there. I had recently installed ubuntu linux into my laptop and when i plug my usb stick how in, it won't show it. Any idea on how to get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ubuntu not showing my usb drive when plugged in.

Hello there. I had recently installed ubuntu linux into my laptop and when i plug my usb stick how in, it won't show it. Any idea on how to get the usb to show up so i can see the content inside it? Sincerely a noob.

Won't show how? If you open nautilus (the file browser) does it show a drive in the left panel that is the size of the flash drive? Also open a terminal with the flash drive plugged in and run the following code (post output)

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. What my problem was, was that my pendrive wouldn't show it's content when i plugged it in. What i did to fix the problem was that i used a laptop with windows and formatted the pendrive to fat32 then i put all the things that were in it again. Guess what?...IT SHOWED UP! Ihad it formatted with fat32 but for some reason it wouldn't show up. The lesson is that anyone should format there pendrives to fat32 even though it is already formatted to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdio View Post
    Thanks for the reply. What my problem was, was that my pendrive wouldn't show it's content when i plugged it in. What i did to fix the problem was that i used a laptop with windows and formatted the pendrive to fat32 then i put all the things that were in it again. Guess what?...IT SHOWED UP! Ihad it formatted with fat32 but for some reason it wouldn't show up. The lesson is that anyone should format there pendrives to fat32 even though it is already formatted to that.
    Good stuff. I actually format all of mine to EXT4 not FAT at all but if you're sharing with a Windows machine you'll need FAT. For future reference you can format easily in Linux even if it's not actually showing up usually by just opening gparted up and selecting the flash drive (it almost always shows there if it's simply a formatting issue). There you can format to one of probably 10 formats

Also just for reference, it's good to remember the command I put. Any time there are hard drive issues (partitions, drives not showing, etc...) it's the first step to diagnosing it
    ptkobe likes this.
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"