Find the answer to your Linux question:
Since my time is limited I'm just copy/paste here what I have posted in YA, I'm looking to downgrade my iPhone 3GS (currently has OS 4.3.3) to OS 3.1.2 or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xbuntu / iProduct help (Downgrade to 3.1.2 on iPhone 3Gs 4.3.3)

Since my time is limited I'm just copy/paste here what I have posted in YA,

I'm looking to downgrade my iPhone 3GS (currently has OS 4.3.3) to OS 3.1.2 or OS 3.1.3, I already have the OS 3.1.2 ipsw. However, after 7 hours of searching for a way, I cannot find a (working) way to revert back using Linux, as it can have neither iTunes nor any of the jailbreaking software that can allegedly accomplish this, and it's a bit tiresome.

Also, feel free to ask for additional details if what I have provided is insufficient

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

___

I'm very new to Linux, as my "charming' older brother would say in not so nice terms, however it runs so nice on my less-than-new compy I'm trying my best to get used to it, however I need to downgrade the OS on a iPhone and everywhere I've looked so far in my search has been fruitless! I need to do this asap, so any speedy help I would be very much grateful for!

Also, if there's anything I likely won't know (such as terminal commands) to go along please touch on that a bit too? I've been searching up things for days but Linux is alot more confusing than Windows or OSX.

Hello and Welcome!

It's been a while since I dealt with an iPhone in any way, but AFAIK the only way to downgrade iOS on a phone is via iTunes.
    I believe you would have to perform a Restore iPhone, and then point the restore to a saved Backup of your phones settings and info.

Incidentally, I used to work on Apples support line . And the tech line won't support downgrading.

Things may have changed since then, but I doubt it. And without sounding like a brushoff, you may have better answers for this on an Apple based forum. http://www.mac-forums.com/
    Last edited by jayd512; 03-14-2012 at 08:19 AM. Reason: hit <post> button to soon.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.