Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Problems setting up dual boot.

Hey, so i've set up dual boot on a couple of friends PC's, and have been trying to do it on my mac without success. I can begin to boot ubuntu, but after a little while it come up with a built in command line that tells me type help for a list of builtin commands. It also gives the error that it is unable to find a medium for a live filesystem. Only way out of that screen is to use the reboot command or force shutdown.

Thanks for any help.
    Kopkins

Hello,

This sounds like its an error in your grub entry. What is the kernel line look like in grub?

Should have something simmilar to the following at the end.

root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/sda3

You want to make sure this is configured correctly so that it can locate the appropriate media.

Quote Originally Posted by Anspliff View Post
    Hello,

This sounds like its an error in your grub entry. What is the kernel line look like in grub?

Should have something simmilar to the following at the end.

root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/sda3

You want to make sure this is configured correctly so that it can locate the appropriate media.
    I'm honestly not sure how to check that. Is that something on my computer or on the livecd?

Also, heres some more details.

I have a MacBook pro 8.1
    With:
    intel i5
    intel HD Graphics 3000
    2 x 2Gb Memory

When trying to boot Ubuntu 11.10 from the LiveCD or install from the CD I get this.
    I haven't been able to install it anywhere yet. It just starts to boot from the LiveCD, then fails.

What shows up and what I do follow:

Code:
    BusyBox v 1.18.4 (Ubuntu 1.18.4-2ubuntu2) builtin shell (ash)

# it doesn't always display this next line.
    Unable to find a medium containing a live filesystem.

Enter 'help' for a list of builtin commands

(initramfs)

(initramfs) help
    # enter help

. : [ alias  break cd chdir command continue echo eval exec exit expot false getopts hash help let local printf pwd 
    read readonly return set shift test times trap true type ulimit umask ualias unset wait [ [[ ash awk basename 
    blockdev cat chmod chroot chut egrep env expr false fbset felflush fgrep find grep gunzip gzip clear cmp cp cut 
    deallocut df dnsdomainname du dumpkmap echo hostname ipconfig ip kill ln loadfont loadkeymap ls mkdir mkfifo 
    mknod mkswap mktemp modinfo more mount mv openvt pidof printf ps pwd readlink reset run rmdir sed 
    setkeycodes sh sleep sort stat static-sh stty sinc tail tee test touch tr true tty umount uname uniq wc wget which yes 
    zcat

(initramfs) reboot
    # enter reboot, system reboots, I choose OSX instead of boot from disk.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I was able to install Ubuntu and it runs pretty well except the wireless. Apparently, there is already a fix for this.

By recommendation by someone else I booted with a livecd and a usb both containing ubuntu.

I went through the whole process, found here, twice now. The first time it would load the wireless and find all the networks, but would continuously be trying to connect to the network. The second time, up near where the wireless networks would be, it says wireless disabled by hardware switch, and also says somewhere that the firmware is missing. Any ideas?

Kopkins

Hey,

Installed Precise Pangolin today and the wireless didn't work by default which surprised me a little, but I was able to extract the firmware and get it working.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out.
    Kopkins