Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to linux. Right now, I'm trying to get world of warcraft to work on my computer. I get to the installer and it keeps breaking half way through. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

So much trouble as a beginner.

I'm new to linux. Right now, I'm trying to get world of warcraft to work on my computer. I get to the installer and it keeps breaking half way through. I re-open it and it breaks again.

I ran:
    glxinfo | grep rendering

The answer was yes. I think it must be wine's fault. Now I'm going to uninstall wine and just start back at the beginning. BUT I CAN"T UNINSTALL IT.

So I ran this. I found these commands on this forum

dpkg --list | grep wine
    apt-get remove wine

I get this back:

E: Could not open lock fine /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission Denied
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg), are you root?

All I want to do is get my WoW working. If you know how to help me with doing that, breaking it down into baby steps for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

If not, just tell me how to uninstall wine. Please and thank you

Hello and Welcome!

Mainstream gaming on Linux has always been problematic. And will be until game developers decide to mod games for us.
    I'm not a WoW player, but I found this: World of Warcraft functionality on Wine - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft

That's really all I can offer on this
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I've read that PlayOnLinux is a bunch easier to use than Wine. Actually it's a "front end" for Wine that makes Wine "friendlier." Both are available in the repositories. You can use Synaptic Package Manager to install PlayOnLinux. Select it from the list and install it "with recommends." Be sure and read up on it before diving in!

By the way "Root" is the Linux word for "Administrator." You can function as root by using the word "sudo" in front of your commands. So your

"dpkg --list | grep wine
    apt-get remove wine"

becomes

Code:
    sudo dpkg --list | grep wine
    sudo apt-get remove wine
    And Ubuntu will ask for your password (the one used to install Ubuntu).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Plexx View Post
    dpkg --list | grep wine
    apt-get remove wine

I get this back:

E: Could not open lock fine /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission Denied
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg), are you root?
    And there's your clue - believe it or not terminal output is there to be read.