Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a dual booter. I must maintain (ugh) MS to be compatible with some reports I need to fill out monthly, but not much. I downloaded 10.4, but downloaded ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cool Mucho Help Needed

I am a dual booter. I must maintain (ugh) MS to be compatible with some reports I need to fill out monthly, but not much.

I downloaded 10.4, but downloaded the system software, without the GUI interface for desktop. Now I downloaded the 12.4 beta, but can't install it. (I NEED MY DESKTOP).

I can't really do much with the system software. How can I fix all this? Oh! I don't have internet, other than the Hotspot 3G that I am able to use with MS.

If I try sudo apt-get install <pkg name> it just tells me it can't find it. I am guessing that is an Internet thing...

I am not uncomfortable with command lines. I used to run CP/M in the old days. (Oh my, I am really dating myself now...)

If I get get help from anyone, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks. Joe
    Also, I need to install new version without re-partitioning my hard drive. Is that possible?
    Last edited by JWest8414; 04-01-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something important

Hi, Joe.

A few questions/comments to start with.
    First, why did you download 10 .04 without a GUI? Were you planning on setting up a server? If not, I would advise downloading the main edition (with a GUI).
    Secondly, the official release date for 12.04 is April 26, so you have a little while to go before it's considered ready.

Install either one you choose. But since you have no network connection on the computer, and you're looking to install more software, this page may be of interest to you: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...net_connection

Hope that helps.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Obviously, I am not the brightest star in the sky when it comes to computers, or distills. So forgive me for doing the wrong thing. If I knew what I was doing, I would not have downloaded the wrong one. But I did.
    I will check out the link you sent. I really want to get back to linux. Thanks. Joe

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    No worries... I've done the same thing more than once.
    Here's a direct link to download 10.04: http://www.ubuntu.com/start-download...32&release=lts
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.