Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I recently installed said OS on my computer and I'm having a bit of trouble. I switched from Unity to Gnome and there's slight differences between this gnome and the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Oneiric Ocelot with GNOME

I recently installed said OS on my computer and I'm having a bit of trouble. I switched from Unity to Gnome and there's slight differences between this gnome and the one on previous versions. At the top I see Applications, and Places, but there's no System option. I can't figure out how to get to System->Preferences...and such. Silly question I know but I'm new to Linux

Hello and Welcome!

I don't have Ubuntu running, so I'm going from memory here.
    But it sounds like you're probably running in Fallback Mode of Unity, which is going to lack several pieces of functionality that you're used to.
    Since there are quite a few folks out there that want those functions back, the Mint team developed Cinnamon. Supposedly, it's quite similar to the look and feel of Gnome2.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I don't believe it's that. I switched desktop environments so I can switch to gnome classic from unity. Gnome on 11.10 doesn't seem to be the same. It's almost exactly the same except for the fact that it's missing the system tab

Is this similar to what you're seeing?
    Attachment 4202
    If so, that would be Gnome-session Fallback.
    AFAIK, there is no way to have a legitimate Gnome2 on Ubuntu 11.10, unless you compile it yourself.

And I mis-typed earlier when I called it "Unity Fallback".
    I should have said "Gnome3 Fallback".
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Oh there isn't? I've been mislead apparently. So my next beginner question is where is the system tab in unity? I thought it was system settings but that doesn't seem to be the same there's no preferences or administration menu/tabs

I've never really played with Unity, so the best I can offer is this reference page.

You might also be interested in Ubuntu Tweak.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    So there's no way to use a fully functional GNOME environment on 11.10?

Gnome3 is fully functional... just not what most people are really looking to use.
    The Gnome dev team decided to go a different way with development. And Ubuntu has dropped support for Gnome2.
    Look through the links that I posted. Something should work out for you.
    Also, one that I forgot. And I think this might be just the ticket for you.
    Mint Gnome Shell Extensions. Check out the screenshots on the second page of that article.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Thanks alot for the help. Unfortunately I'm either incompetent or Unity and 11.10 is the worst mistake yet known to man. Now for whatever reason the software center is just failing to startup.

Not sure why.

Personally, when I ran Ubuntu I always had the same problem with the Software Center.
    Try using the terminal commands that are given in the last link that I gave. You may have better luck going that route.

And not to bash Unity, but I wouldn't blame anything on incompetence!
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast