Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi yaŽll, lookin for a GUI screenshot maker at intervals but can not find one. Yeah, windoz all the way , **** where is the GUI for ubuntu. Some helpreally ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Help ! Need to take screenshots of video at user set intervals ?

Hi yaŽll, lookin for a GUI screenshot maker at intervals but can not find one.

Yeah, windoz all the way , **** where is the GUI for ubuntu.

Some helpreally preciated on dis !!

Linux Guru
    I use ffmpeg (command line and terminal) and am not a Ubuntu full time user.

For a GUI Maybe Kazam or GTK-record my desktop is what will fill your needs.

Google will tell you how to install Kazam as it has not made it into the repos yet for Ubuntu.

Gtk-record my desktop should be in your repositories already though.

If all you need is a screenshot, maybe you could use something like scrot.
    If they are shots taken at a regular interval, setup a cron job to take a shot every X minutes or hours.

http://www.itnewb.com/tutorial/Using...lity-for-Linux
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Tks for da reply. Yeah, GTK is installed but only takes screens of desktop , not a whole video. In any case GT don`t work too good.

Kazam is what could do it but no show on my 8.04 hardy.

I have vlc which I hate, have smplayer which is the best so far - screens but no way of taking interval shots. Has a screenmaker but all in png and to many fps !

Kaffeine , also , no screen shot intervals. Hell , this linux is sleepin.

I found 2 which say they can take shots at intervals. Videos , my movies not my Desktop !

1 - GOMPlayer, seems da biz , installed but when I select a vid , damn thing freezes - any vid.

2 - The Gimp - in reps but the taking shots at intervals don`t work. I mean u select the movie and all or the parts you want the shots to begin and end and then da message on da screen say - Path on Mplayer not set - or someting like dat.

Here`s the message : video cut-snapshot-3.jpg

OK , Tks .
    Last edited by robt23; 04-14-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Linux Guru
    Path on Mplayer not set - or someting like dat.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mplayer
    is what could do it but no show on my 8.04 hardy
    Though I am pretty sure the repos are dead for Ubuntu 8.04LTS.so the above command will probably error out.

So. Install this deb
    Ubuntu -- Details of package mplayer in hardy
    and all dependencies also marked with a red dot. Gdebi will tell you what is missing in gui.

You are running a outdated non supported Ubuntu release
    Ubuntu 8.04 reaches end-of-life on May 12 2011

So expect to jump through hoops and learn how to run a non supported distro or you can upgrade to 10.04 LTS which is supported till next year. Backup anything you want to keep before any dist-upgrade or you may be sorry you did not;

Or backup what you want kept, music,pictures,movies. And do a complete reinstall
    The Perfect Desktop - Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

Only good for another year though till end of life kicks in also.

I run a rolling release distro. So no need to reinstall'.

This is my eeepc 701SD running AntiX 8.5 but is current with latest Debian testing packages.

screencast1 - Minus

You can watch the video in whatever movie player like Gnome-Mplayer after you download the video. This was done using ffmpeg in terminal to make the video on my EEEPC 701SD.

ffmpeg is not a gui application.

My code for this box is

Code:
    ffmpeg -f x11grab -s 800x480 -r 24 -an -threads 2 -sameq -i :0.0 screencast.avi
    800x480 is the screen size on this eeepc. If using like 1024x768 or whatever. Substitute 800x480 to like 1024x768 or whatever screen resolution you are using.

Code:
    xrandr
    in terminal is what I use in AntiX to get my screen size.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 04-15-2012 at 06:03 AM.

Linux Newbie
    This is what I don`t get. I installed Mplayer by ppa ,so all those packages marked with the red dot in theory ,I should have......am I right in that ?

Another point is my distro is not a normal 8.04 , it is built especially for the machine I`m using. I run a Reelbox which is a multimedia kinda pc and there are some extra packages added which a normal 8.04 wouldn`t have.

So, if I were to put in the 10.04LTS, would probably freak out the os !
    There are knew distros out but not LTS. Where as you guys would run on 11.10 , I would have 11.12.2 which is the latest update to my os. I loaded the normal 11.12 DVD from Reel Multimedia but the pc side was blank .VGA worked and also this had many bugs.

This is why I am sticking to 8.04. I really hate, hate the command line - need a GUI. My brain is not on a par with you guys so need something user friendly. Everything points to windoz . Damn !

Was hoping you could get gomplayer to work on linux but hey, it`s a windoz app - wine don`t work it`s magic on it. See what I mean !

As for backing up data when I install a new os I unplug the slave drives and just leave the small 320 gb drive as my os , therefore no need for data back u as I don`t save my stuff on my os drive.

Ok am out of this too mind consuming plus I am not in good physical health - pain 24/7. If I were painfree then my brain would most probably work better.

Tks for helping out, thought this would be much more less stress.

Linux Guru
    I am not in good physical health - pain 24/7. If I were painfree then my brain would most probably work better.
    Sorry to hear that. Being a biker with lot's of screws and plates holding his bones together I can relate to your pain.

This is what I don`t get. I installed Mplayer by ppa ,so all those packages marked with the red dot in theory ,I should have......am I right in that ?
    That is why I learned command line stuff. I am just a Linux using Outlaw Biker who is a computer home user. Not a IT professional. Command line is the universal Linux language across all linux distros so when one posts what they tried via command line. It opens up more dialogue for other linux users to respond. I assumed you were running a current Ubuntu distro for starters from you're original post in this thread and also assumed you did not have mplayer installed from you gui screenshot. Command line error messages instead of gui shots are more succinct and informative.

Ok. to check dependencies are installed. In my link I gave you. The red dot dependencies
    In terminal

Code:
    harry@biker:~$ apt-cache policy libaa1
    libaa1:
      Installed: 1.4p5-39
      Candidate: 1.4p5-39
      Version table:
     *** 1.4p5-39 0
            500 http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main i386 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    harry@biker:~$ apt-cache policy libartsc0 
    N: Unable to locate package libartsc0
    harry@biker:~$ apt-cache policy libasound2 
    libasound2:
      Installed: 1.0.25-2
      Candidate: 1.0.25-2
      Version table:
     *** 1.0.25-2 0
            500 http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main i386 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    harry@biker:~$
    or search in synaptic package manager in Ubuntu 8.04 if wanting to see via gui.

I really hate, hate the command line - need a GUI. My brain is not on a par with you guys so need something user friendly. Everything points to windoz . Damn !
    I really hated computers being a biker. Did not matter what operating system. I was clueless. But. I either lead,follow,or get the hell out of the way. So I adapt or not.

So run Gimp from terminal even though you hate command line. Leave the terminal open. Try to make a video ,(something I have never tried in gimp by the way), copy and paste what terminal spits out. Maybe we can figure out something. Maybe not. Worth a shot I guess.

Happy Trails, Rok

Linux Newbie
    Tks for all your help , you tried. I was a biker too ,best years of my life. One minute nothing can stop you the next , all hell on earth.

That`s it for me .

Catch the wind dude...........

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by robt23 View Post
    Tks for all your help , you tried. I was a biker too ,best years of my life. One minute nothing can stop you the next , all hell on earth.

That`s it for me .

Catch the wind dude...........

Had some gooooood riding today. Nice Day here. Cleared my head.
    I am gonna leave you with one last shot over the bow.
    I made this last night. All you need to a twitter account, a browser like Firefox, Seamonkey, or Chromium/Chrome, and a good java install in browser. My Desktop is a old Emachine 3ghz cpu , 1gig ram, that I made the video with.
    Maybe it will fit your needs without pulling you hair out. You can post the video to youtube, Facebook, whatever.

Screenr - rokytnji: Antix 11 Base Iso. Fluxbox. Lxpanels. Playing Antix-Box of Birds. This is Linux at it's best. Lean and Mean.

Hang in there bro. I thought I recognized a kindred spirit.