Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, New to the Forums hoping I can get an answer. I plan on setting up a dual boot systems with Ubuntu and Win 7 pro. My question is that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Multi-Boot (Win 7 Question)

Hi,
    New to the Forums hoping I can get an answer. I plan on setting up a dual boot systems with Ubuntu and Win 7 pro. My question is that from within Ubuntu, I would like to be able to run the Windows 7 install on my PC within Virtualbox or VMware? Is this possible or do I have to do a clean install of Win 7 from within Linux?

Thanks,

Hello joemar,

Welcome to LF

I would like to be able to run the Windows 7 install on my PC within Virtualbox or VMware? Is this possible or do I have to do a clean install of Win 7 from within Linux?
    In my little experience, it is possible to install your WIndows in Virtualbox from within your linux OS. Just download and install the Vbox version for your linux flavor and proceed to install your WIndows in VBox.

Hope this helps.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Hay joemar , i hope you are well

And welcome to the wonderful world of linux

In regards to your question, Are u asking if it is possible to run The Win7 you are using now inside Ubuntu as a virtual machine ??, if so no sadly you cant you will have to make a new Win7 VM.
    The same would apply if you are running Ubuntu now as your desktop and wanted make Win7 your Desktop and Ubuntu your VM.

I hope this helps

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by joemar View Post
    New to the Forums hoping I can get an answer. I plan on setting up a dual boot systems with Ubuntu and Win 7 pro. My question is that from within Ubuntu, I would like to be able to run the Windows 7 install on my PC within Virtualbox or VMware? Is this possible or do I have to do a clean install of Win 7 from within Linux?
    Hi Joemar,

Your question is a little confusing. Firstly if you desire to set up a dual boot system, it means you will install both operating systems on the physical hardware and you will have to choose which operating system you would like to run when you start up the PC i.e Ubuntu or Win 7. This will involve partitioning your Hard drives but if you already have Win 7 installed on the PC you can easily install Ubuntu along side your Win 7 from within Win 7 using WUBI installer.
    You can see how to from here --> howtogeek.com/howto/9142/easily-install-ubuntu-linux-with-windows-using-the-wubi-installer/

If you want to install Win 7 as a guest operating system in ubuntu, you can make use of Vmware Player for linux or any other virtualisation software available.
    You can see how to from here --> howtogeek.com/howto/18768/run-windows-in-ubuntu-with-vmware-player/

I hope this helps.

Cheers.