Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am working with ubintu 11.10 and fedora 16. One thing I have not fount out yet is how I can work with a browser and a libreoffice application ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ubuntu 11.10 working with browser and libreoffice, each on half screen

Hello,
    I am working with ubintu 11.10 and fedora 16. One thing I have not fount out yet is how I can work with a browser and a libreoffice application at the same time/ in one view. For instance, firefox is presented on the left hand side of the screen and libreoffice calc on the right side of the screen. When working with the browser I still wish to see the libreoffice document and vice versa.
    Does someone know how to do this? It seems that applications can only open in full screen mode
    Thanks, Willem

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It's been a while since I used either Untiy or Gnome 3 but IIRC, you could do that in Unity but you couldn't in Gnome 3. I seem to remember being left with the distinct impression that the Gnome devs think people are to stupid to look at more than one thing at a time.

There may be a plugin available by now.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Don't know about gnome or unity, but 'awesome' is a windowing manager which supports tiling but it might be irritating for users coming from gnome or other well known desktop environments. I have configured keyboard shortcuts in LXDE to split windows in half.

I may be mistaken here, as I haven't used either Gnome3 or Unity very much. But I recall that in at least one of them you could drag an open application to the far left of your screen and it would 'snap' to take up that half of the screen. Same for dragging to the right.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    I may be mistaken here, as I haven't used either Gnome3 or Unity very much. But I recall that in at least one of them you could drag an open application to the far left of your screen and it would 'snap' to take up that half of the screen. Same for dragging to the right.
    Yes, that's the default behaviour in Unity. I believe it's actually set in the "Grid" function under Window Management in compizconfig-settings-manager. Whether you can do that in gnome shell or not I really don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Yes, that's the default behaviour in Unity. I believe it's actually set in the "Grid" function under Window Management in compizconfig-settings-manager. Whether you can do that in gnome shell or not I really don't know.
    I knew that it was one of them.
    Thanks for letting me know.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.