Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have been running ubuntu for a while i love love love it, except for not being able to watch netflix. i tired running a vm with xp pro but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help with dual boot partition size please

I have been running ubuntu for a while i love love love it, except for not being able to watch netflix. i tired running a vm with xp pro but its really choppy and not worth it. so i want to dual boot windows and ubuntu. my question relates to partition sizes and the process of setting them up(never done this before), i only want to give windows enough room to be able to stream netflix nice and smooth while having enough room for ubuntu and all my music videos ect.

Hello and Welcome.
    What size hard drive do you have? I think if you allocate 15 Gb to Windows, that should be plenty.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    i have 320g in my dell. are there any good write ups to do this start to finish? i know i have to start with windows and i already backed up everything i want to keep. thought i read something about the ubuntu set up having an option that automatically allocates the 3 partitions. not sure if im just makeing that up though, its been a long day

Well, that's more than plenty of space. I would probably just give the 300 GB to Linux and the 20GB to Windows. You can see this thread for a little info on what others are suggesting.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...x-distros.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    thank you kindly good sir

Just Joined!
    one more quick one. what do i use to switch between partitions, can this be done on the fly or does it require a restart?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by njallday View Post
    one more quick one. what do i use to switch between partitions, can this be done on the fly or does it require a restart?
    you'll need to restart

When you install Linux, it will install a bootloader (GRUB) for you. When you reboot you will be presented with the option to boot either Linux or Windows. This is why you must install Windows first, it will overwrite the MBR and your boot loader.

Just Joined!
    ok thnks. thats what i thought, windows doesnt play well with others haha

I suggest 20G for Windows and the rest for Linux ... partition the drive the way you want, but it is best to have Windows as the first partition on the hard drive. Install Windows first, and check it boots properly before you install Linux.

I have no idea how much space netflix uses in practice, if you know this in advance then you can layout partitions to suit. If you are unsure then I'd put a 20G partition after the Windows partition (at the end of the drive) and use it to store netflix info on. If you find it is not used then you can always either use it for Linux, reformat it etc afterwards - without having to resize the Windows partition.

A root and home partition are usually recommended, and if swap is required then add that as well.

Whether you create additional partitions is up to you, but you are usually limited to 4 primary partitions (one can be an extended partition - which can hold logical partitions). Example information on Arch wiki here will give you some idea of partitions, reason for considering having them and filesystem types.

The other thing I recommended is you give meaningful labels to all your partitions as you create them, it's much easier to work out what is where - and avoid over-writing things by accident

Personally I'd go with
    Windows partition (primary partition 1) 20G
    Linux root partition (primary partition 2) 30G
    Swap - if needed (primary partition 3) 1G (if you want to suspend to disc it needs to be at least as big as the RAM)
    Extended partition (primary partition 4) rest of disc
    with logical partitions
    home partition (logical partition) 20G
    data partition (logical partition) rest of space on disc minus 20G
    Windows partition for netfix data (logical partition) 20G

Then if the netflix data partition is not needed I'd use it to install the next version of Ubuntu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast