Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello fellows, I've been in trouble trying to use my usb pendrive on my desktop with Ubuntu. Actually, I've been able to use with no problem any usb device on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu doesn't mount front usb devices

Hello fellows,

I've been in trouble trying to use my usb pendrive on my desktop with Ubuntu.

Actually, I've been able to use with no problem any usb device on the front usb ports of my computer for years until now.

For some reason, since yesterday, when I plug my pendrive in the front usb port nothing happens, it doesn't mount automatically like it used to. However when I plug it in to the back usb ports it works like a charm, automaticaly mounts it and I can see all the files on it.

That made me think that the connection was lost or something, but some commands proved me wrong. For instance I type on the terminal the following:
    # lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Flash Card Reader/Writer
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0b38:0003 Gear Head Keyboard
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
    Bus 004 Device 006: ID 0930:6545 Toshiba Corp. Kingston DataTraveler 102 Flash Drive / HEMA Flash Drive 2 GB / PNY Attache 4GB Stick

Which indicates me that there is connection, since the system is able to tell me that I have plugged in a kingston flash drive (in the Bus 004 Device 006: ID 0930:6545 Toshiba Corp. Kingston DataTraveler 102 Flash Drive).

I then tried to mount manually this drive, but in order to do so I would have to know it location. So I tried a fdisk -l:

# fdisk -l

Disco /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 cabezas, 63 sectores/pista, 19457 cilindros, 312581808 sectores en total
    Unidades = sectores de 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Tamaño de sector (lógico / físico): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Tamaño E/S (mínimo/óptimo): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Identificador del disco: 0x58275827

Dispositivo Inicio Comienzo Fin Bloques Id Sistema
    /dev/sda1 63 51197951 25598944+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 * 51199216 312576704 130688744+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda5 51199218 225275903 87038343 83 Linux
    /dev/sda6 225279558 246758399 10739421 83 Linux
    /dev/sda7 250662258 312576704 30957223+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda8 246758463 250662194 1951866 82 Linux swap / Solaris

As you can see, I found no device related to my flash drive, so I'm not able to mount it.

Then I tried a dmesg which printed me this:

[12942.712296] scsi 7:0:0:0: Direct-Access Kingston DataTraveler SE9 PMAP PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS

However I have no idea how to mount it with that data or why the system stopped mounting it automatically.

I would appreciate greatly the some of you could help me figuring this out.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, what changed from when you were able to use the front USB ports until now, when you can't?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Only thing that cross my mind is an update

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    So, what changed from when you were able to use the front USB ports until now, when you can't?
    Thanks a lot for your reply,

Only thing that cross my mind is an update, because I have made not a single chance on the system, I haven't even installed any new program. It's just like one day worked well and the next day it didn't recognize it anymore.

It's a weird issue... however, now that you mention it. There might be a change. I dont know if it has something to do but I've been using the front usb ports to use a webcam with skype. Actually I've just tested and it works perfectly. So it seems that it works for any usb device except for storage usb devices... Even stranger don't you think?
    Last edited by amarintj1986; 06-11-2012 at 02:42 PM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you tried a cold shutdown and reboot? Sometimes these sort of problems are stateful, and doing a cold shutdown and subsequent poweron will resolve the issue.

Yes I have

Have you tried a cold shutdown and reboot? Sometimes these sort of problems are stateful, and doing a cold shutdown and subsequent poweron will resolve the issue.
    Yes Rubberman, I have tried both, a simple restart and shutdown and later reboot and the problem persists :-/

Before you plug the drive into the usb port, list the drives in /dev (ls /dev/sd*). Then after you plug it in, list the drives again. The device id should show up. You should be able to mount the partition (such as /dev/sdx1) to a mount point (empty directory) of your choice.

This is what happened

Before you plug the drive into the usb port, list the drives in /dev (ls /dev/sd*). Then after you plug it in, list the drives again. The device id should show up. You should be able to mount the partition (such as /dev/sdx1) to a mount point (empty directory) of your choice.
    Thanks a lot for your support Rubberman. This is what I tried and then happended:

$ ls /dev/sd*
    /dev/sda /dev/sda2 /dev/sda6 /dev/sda8 /dev/sdc /dev/sde
    /dev/sda1 /dev/sda5 /dev/sda7 /dev/sdb /dev/sdd

Then I plugged in the usb pendrive and:

$ ls /dev/sd*
    /dev/sda /dev/sda2 /dev/sda6 /dev/sda8 /dev/sdc /dev/sde
    /dev/sda1 /dev/sda5 /dev/sda7 /dev/sdb /dev/sdd /dev/sdf

So guessing that the device was the last one (sdf) I then:

$ cd /media
    $ sudo bash
    [sudo] password for andres:
    # mkdir pendrive

# sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdf1 /media/pendrive -o uid=1000,gid=1000,utf8,dmask=027,fmask=137

# chmod -R 777 /media/pendrive/
    # chown -R andres /media/pendrive/
    # gedit /etc/fstab

And added this line on the fstab:

dev/sdf1 /media/pendrive vfat uid=1000,gid=1000,utf8,dmask=027,fmask=137 0 0

Even though it really mounted the usb it showed no file.. Maybe I just deleted them, but anyway I tried to unmount and it tells me:

umount: montaje de /media/pendrive no concuerda con fstab

In english is that mount point of media/pendrive doesn't match the fstab.

So, it's clear I made a mistake, could you please point it out?

Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by amarintj1986; 06-12-2012 at 12:00 AM.

By the way

Since the mounting thing didn't worked out well, I deleted the fstab line and the media directory. Then restarted and plugged the pendrive in the back usb port. Fortunately, the data wasn't lost I was able to access the data on it, but still I can't do the same on the front usb ports

Well, this is a start. And for whatever it is worth, soy biligue en espanol y ingles (I'm bilingual in Spanish and English)! Although since these forums are in English, a translation is appropriate for our fellows...

Anyway, how did you try to unmount it - as "umount /media/pendrive"? In any case, your fstab entry seems to be missing a leading '/', as in

/dev/sdf1 /media/pendrive vfat uid=1000,gid=1000,utf8,dmask=027,fmask=137 0 0

If that WAS what you put in /etc/fstab, then there is some other problem here, such as a corrupted drive.

Good to know that

Well, this is a start. And for whatever it is worth, soy biligue en espanol y ingles (I'm bilingual in Spanish and English)! Although since these forums are in English, a translation is appropriate for our fellows...

Anyway, how did you try to unmount it - as "umount /media/pendrive"? In any case, your fstab entry seems to be missing a leading '/', as in

/dev/sdf1 /media/pendrive vfat uid=1000,gid=1000,utf8,dmask=027,fmask=137 0 0

If that WAS what you put in /etc/fstab, then there is some other problem here, such as a corrupted drive.
    Good to know you speak spanish too, you are clearly a person who likes to learn. I actually gave up trying to answer any post from this forum because you post on all of them ha ha ha. Good for you.

OK, back to the topic. I thought the same about the / on media and tried adding it and still didn't worked.

On the other hand, the usb drive works fine on any computer and in the back usb ports, so it's really weird issue.

I had to turn the computer off unplug the usb and then delete the line on the fstab to continue using the usb at least on the back usb ports.

I can mount the drive but I cannot see the data on it when I mount it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast