Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by Steven_G I'm killing time between fire alarms at work on a doze system, so that makes it a little harder to do things b/c I have to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    I'm killing time between fire alarms at work on a doze system, so that makes it a little harder to do things b/c I have to work from memory or search the web with no access to a *nix install. (And I'm still pretty noob myself.)

I've done some looking around the web for you. The .deb installer *should* register itself with the package manager. So you should be able to remove the package from the terminal using commands.

Depending on the version that you installed then one of the two following commands should remove it and all of its config files:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge google-chrome-unstable
    or
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge google-chrome-stable
    From what I've read on the web I'd try the first command first. (In other words you probably currently have the unstable version and this is probably what caused the problem; you got a buggy update. As a noob you should stay far, far away from all of the unstable branches of all software. We don't have the skills to fix it and it will cause you nothing but headaches.)

After it is removed then run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    ( Not 100% necessary, I just like to make sure things are completely cleaned up as I work.)

Then go in to the update manager (trying to remember exactly where) / advanced (maybe?). Any way, look around in the buttons, tabs and options of the update manager and find where your repositories (repos) are listed. If you have the unstable version then uncheck the google chrome repo.

If you already have the PPA for the *stable* version in your update manager then you can reinstall the program with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install google-chrome-stable

If you installed the unstable version with the .deb installer then to install the stable version and add the PPA to your repos so that it stays up to date through your update manager then follow the directions here

I used your way, and I did have the stable installed. Went through the process, reinstalled...same issue. Chrome insists on using Libre office and not MS Office... Thanks for putting all the time into that...
    Registered Linux user #439800.

Linux Newbie
    Anymore suggestions?
    Registered Linux user #439800.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by KaIIen View Post
    Anymore suggestions?
    I'm bumfuzzled, so no more suggestions...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3