Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
I use Microsoft office (because of school) on my Ubuntu 12.04 machine (CrossOver). Until today, when I downloaded an Office format (like docx) it would correctly open MS Office. Couple ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    150

    Chrome opens wrong application...


    I use Microsoft office (because of school) on my Ubuntu 12.04 machine (CrossOver). Until today, when I downloaded an Office format (like docx) it would correctly open MS Office. Couple days ago, I had to download an ,rtf, and it opened in Libre. Now, everything opens in Libre instead of MS Office.

    I checked in Nautilus, and if I open a file in Nautilus, it opens correctly in MS Office. Also, in Nautilus, right-click>properties shows MS Office is default. So how do I get Chrome to behave properly?

    Thanks!
    Registered Linux user #439800.

  2. #2
    Linux Guru Rubberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    11,596
    What does Chrome have to do with this? In any case, when in Nautilus, right click on one of the MS office files, and select properties->tools (tools may be an icon - it is in Konqueror). That should give you the option to specify the applications which can open the file, and the order they are presented in. Usually the top item will be the default application. If MS Office in Wine is not there, you can add it and make it the default. Also, you can configure LibreOffice so that it does not change your preferences in the future.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

  3. #3
    Linux Guru Rubberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    11,596
    Sorry. I think I understand what you mean now - that when you use Chrome to download an MS Office file, and then open it in Chrome, it uses LibreOffice instead of MS Office, yet if you open it in Nautilus it opens it correctly. Is this right?

    Here is the relevant section from the Chrome help pages:


    You can clear auto-opening settings through the Settings dialog. Here's how:

    1. Click the wrench icon on the browser toolbar.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. Click Show advanced settings.
    4. In the "Downloads" section, click Clear auto-opening settings. This clears your settings for all file types.
    5. Click Close when you're done, if you're using Windows or Linux.

    This may reset Chrome so it doesn't use LO to open MS Office files.
    Last edited by Rubberman; 07-15-2012 at 05:16 AM.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

  4. #4
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Sorry. I think I understand what you mean now - that when you use Chrome to download an MS Office file, and then open it in Chrome, it uses LibreOffice instead of MS Office, yet if you open it in Nautilus it opens it correctly. Is this right?

    Here is the relevant section from the Chrome help pages:


    You can clear auto-opening settings through the Settings dialog. Here's how:

    1. Click the wrench icon on the browser toolbar.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. Click Show advanced settings.
    4. In the "Downloads" section, click Clear auto-opening settings. This clears your settings for all file types.
    5. Click Close when you're done, if you're using Windows or Linux.

    This may reset Chrome so it doesn't use LO to open MS Office files.
    Yes, that it my problem. And I looked for that already, but the only option that I have under downloads is where to save files, nothing else...
    Registered Linux user #439800.

  5. #5
    Administrator jayd512's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    5,023
    I don't use Chrome, so this is a small shot-in-the-dark.
    In your browser, can you right-click on the file and choose something like 'Open With'?
    Jay

    New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

  6. #6
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    I don't use Chrome, so this is a small shot-in-the-dark.
    In your browser, can you right-click on the file and choose something like 'Open With'?
    No. The options are to save link, open link, and inspect elements.
    Registered Linux user #439800.

  7. #7
    Linux User Steven_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Western US
    Posts
    415
    I'm not a Chrome user either, but in Fire Fox there is a whole page in the settings menu that is dedicated to letting you choos the default programs / plug-ins used to open stuff inside the browser.

    I found a few pages that walk you through all of the Chrome settings; hopefully they'll help you find the right ones.

    googlechromebrowser.com
    googlechrometutorial.com
    lifehacker chrome power user

  8. #8
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    I'm not a Chrome user either, but in Fire Fox there is a whole page in the settings menu that is dedicated to letting you choos the default programs / plug-ins used to open stuff inside the browser.

    I found a few pages that walk you through all of the Chrome settings; hopefully they'll help you find the right ones.

    googlechromebrowser.com
    googlechrometutorial.com
    lifehacker chrome power user
    Thanks for the info, but nothing on those links are what I need...
    I don't understand why Chrome is opening a different program than the system default... And that is something that JUST changed...
    Registered Linux user #439800.

  9. #9
    Linux User Steven_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Western US
    Posts
    415
    Have you tried completely removing chrome with all of its config files

    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge chrome
    and reinstalling?

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install chrome
    It's kind of a kludgy fix and it doesn't get at the cause of the problem. So maybe it won't fix it and maybe it will happen again. But it might fix it?

  10. #10
    Linux User TaZMAniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    269

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •