Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm not quite satisfied with the way Ubuntu is anymore. At the moment I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows XP dual boot. Here's how I have it set up: C:\ ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Remove Ubuntu and install Mint

I'm not quite satisfied with the way Ubuntu is anymore. At the moment I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows XP dual boot.

Here's how I have it set up:
    C:\ has Windows and that's about it
    I:\ has all my windows programs, saved pics, videos, music, documents, and so on... and it also is the partition with Ubuntu installed.

I originally installed with Wubi, but then my windows crashed and had to do a full reinstall of Windows. And I seem to have both an old version of Ubuntu on my computer and the newer 12.04. I can't access the older version anymore for some reason, but 12.04 is in grub at startup.

So now I'm stuck, I'd like to get rid of Ubuntu, and start fresh with Mint and see how I like it, but I don't want to lose all the files I have on my hard drive that has Ubuntu on it. Both the C:\ and the I:\ are on the same hard drive, but they're separate partitions.

Hello and Welcome!

I've not personally used the Wubi installer, but I'll see what I can do to help.
    To remove a Wubi install, you should be able to boot into Windows and remove Wubi using Add/Remove Programs (or whatever it's called in Win7).
    You can then use Mint4win to install Mint in the same fashion. Here is a useful page from the Mint Forums.
    Note that the Mint 13 release note states that the 32-bit version will not install successfully using Mint4win, while the 64-bit version will work just fine.
    The page that I linked to offers steps on how to successfully install the 32-bit edition if you choose.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Hello and Welcome!

I've not personally used the Wubi installer, but I'll see what I can do to help.
    To remove a Wubi install, you should be able to boot into Windows and remove Wubi using Add/Remove Programs (or whatever it's called in Win7).
    You can then use Mint4win to install Mint in the same fashion. Here is a useful page from the Mint Forums
    Note that the Mint 13 release note states that the 32-bit version will not install successfully using Mint4win, while the 64-bit version will work just fine.
    The page that I linked to offers steps on how to successfully install the 32-bit edition if you choose.
    Unfortunately because I had to reinstall Windows, Wubi is no longer under the Add/Remove programs section.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by RhetoricCamel View Post
    Unfortunately because I had to reinstall Windows, Wubi is no longer under the Add/Remove programs section.
    If that's the case, then you can just use mint4win to install Mint.
    Wubi, and mint4win, simply create a folder inside of your Windows system to house a Linux installation.
    If you're looking for a true dual-boot, you could shrink your Windows partition (the MS partitioning tool works well for this) and install Mint alongside Windows.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I had already shrank the Windows partition when I originally installed Ubuntu, I don't think I want to shrink it anymore than it already is. Ideally I'd like to remove Ubuntu, and seamlessly put Mint in it's place. That's what I want, but the more I look around the less possible it looks.

Do you have a Ubuntu file in either your C:\ or I:\ partitions? If so, remove them. Also look for C:\wubildr*.
    If Wubi is not present in Add/Remove Programs, you might have some luck with this:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide?ac...all-Ubuntu.exe
    Jay

New Member FAQ

As jayd512 pointed out, check both your C: partition and your I: partition for wubildr and ubuntu folder/files in the root of either of those partitions, remove them.

After they're removed modify your boot.ini file and remove the line/entry inserted by wubi

Then open the registry editor (start >> run >> regedit) and navigate to this location:
    [-HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uni nstall\Wubi]

Delete that registry key.

After the registry key is gone, and the boot.ini is back to default, and the files representing the HDD space that Wubi took up is gone, Wubi should be, for all intents and purposes, gone. From there you can just install Mint like you would as if you never installed it, and everything should act normal. The new one will re-add the reg key and modify your boot.ini file, along with setting up any folders/files it needs to represent HDD space for the guest OS (mint).

Note:
    Do yourself a favor and back up the boot.ini before you modify it. If you **** up your system and can't boot windows you can load up a live CD and use the back-up to replace your main boot.ini and Windows should be bootable again. The nice thing about XP is it doesn't use that BCD bull****, so it's very easy to modify boot options.

Hope that helps some!

Note 2:
    Source: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide/#H...nstall_Wubi.3F

Quote Originally Posted by Syndacate View Post
    Then open the registry editor (start >> run >> regedit) and navigate to this location:
    [-HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uni nstall\Wubi]
    I wasn't aware of that step... I'll keep that one in mind!
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Thank you both very much for your help. In the I:\ I found wubildr and wubildr.mbr I also have one Ubuntu folder in the I:\ with an Uninstall-Ubuntu icon. There is also a folder in the Ubuntu folder called winboot which contains some wubildr files. Looks like I'll be able to remove this pretty easily after-all.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    I wasn't aware of that step... I'll keep that one in mind!
    It probably doesn't matter much, TBH. Not sure what the key represents for Wubi's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by RhetoricCamel View Post
    Thank you both very much for your help. In the I:\ I found wubildr and wubildr.mbr I also have one Ubuntu folder in the I:\ with an Uninstall-Ubuntu icon. There is also a folder in the Ubuntu folder called winboot which contains some wubildr files. Looks like I'll be able to remove this pretty easily after-all.
    Yeah, it should be a pretty straight-forward removal process. Just make sure you save anything out of Wubi to an external drive or something, because once you delete those problems there will be no Wubi installation left for you to boot into that may have had your documents/pictures/music/etc. on it.

Good luck!