Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have two machines (1) old - has data (2) new - blank. Is it possible to use clonezilla live on both machines and migrate the entire disk from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Clonezilla migrate machine network....possible?

Hi,

I have two machines (1) old - has data (2) new - blank. Is it possible to use clonezilla live on both machines and migrate the entire disk from machine (1) to machine (2) over the network?

If this is possible does anyone have a guide on the best approach to achieve this?

Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Moving data is one thing. Moving the OS from an old machine (more than 3 years old?) to a new one is another entirely. You may be better off installing a new os and up-to-date versions of the software and then migrating the data to the new system. That isn't to say that you can't use Clonezilla as you envision - you can AFAIK. Have you studied in depth the Clonezilla documentation?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I'm looking in to clonezilla for the same use. But, in my case I've got a new install being copied to multiple *identical* copies of metal. That *should* be pretty straight forward. But, when you start going from different metal to different metal things can get really complicated, really fast. It can be done. But the only programs that I know of that do it well are paid ones and they ain't cheap. And not only do you have to kick out a fair bit of cash, but even then they take a fair bit of skill.

Your best bet is to set up the new machine with a new OS, trick it out, hack it up, set up a network connection and then move the data from point A to point B.

Just Joined!
    Thank you both for your input. I shall look in to it a little further. I will probably be going from virtual to physical.