Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Originally Posted by Dapper Dan Since you seem to want something that looks and runs like Windows 7, why don't you just run Windows 7? I don't want something that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Since you seem to want something that looks and runs like Windows 7, why don't you just run Windows 7?
    I don't want something that looks and runs like Windows 7. That's a ridiculous and snide comment to make. I haven't used Ballmer as my main OS for 5 years. I've made it clear what I want: an OS that doesn't crash all the time. Ubuntu 10.10 was OK and if I have to go back and use that, then I will, but I was kinda hoping that there would be at least one distro that combined fresh features with stability. I've trialled Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, Suse and others. None are good enough. None are as stable as 10.10 was.

Can anyone offer any accounts of using Fedora or some other distro that might combine stability with modern features?

You've stated a few opinions about what you want. But you haven't really said anything about what didn't work.
    Im actually looking for something pretty slick and integrated - i.e. Pidgin, Rhythmbox et al all seamlessly integrate with Gnome shell, but the DE itself is horrifically unstable. I can deal with slower loading times due to the DE being at the upper end of what my specs can deal with, but I dont like freezing and crashing.
    Xfce, LXDE, IceWM... options are there.
    And they all look quite nice.
    2012-08-06_1280x800.jpg
    Case in point.

So... what are you wanting?
    Pretty? Useful? Or a combination of the two?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Stable...
    *buntu...Mint... Fedora... antiX... Slackware... Debian... CentOS... Arch... Gentoo... Debian
    Pick one after trying them. We'll help you out with it.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by benettfreeman View Post
    I don't want something that looks and runs like Windows 7. That's a ridiculous and snide comment to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by benettfreeman View Post
    Bottom line is that if a system, graphics card included, can run Windows 7 smoothly, it ought to be able to run a half-decent Linux build. How I classify those builds is a mixture of aesthetics, functionality and stability, and tbh I've not yet found something with balance.
    My comment was neither ridiculous nor snide. Everyone here has made good suggestions to you but you don't seem to want to try any of them. You seem to only want to complain about how Linux is "buggy." Linux isn't buggy or crash prone on any of my machines and I'm sure others on this thread will tell you the same. If your machine and graphics card run Windows 7 satisfactorily and you won't try the options we've offered then Windows 7 would be a viable solution. Windows 7 also offers "aesthetics, functionality and stability."
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

I agree that the new *buntu's are buggy as all get out. I switched to Mint13 Mate edition, but looked closely at LMDE and Zorin 6 also.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    You've stated a few opinions about what you want. But you haven't really said anything about what didn't work.
    What didn't work? Ubuntu and Mint have all kinds of bugs. Debian was way too ascetic. Other distros were a PITA to get supporting my hardware. Ubuntu and Mint are great in terms of hardware support, functionality and integration, but they are notoriously unstable. I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise. They are designed to be the unstable testing grounds for Debian.

Xfce, LXDE, IceWM... options are there.
    And they all look quite nice.
    To me they don't look that great, sorry.

So... what are you wanting?
    Pretty? Useful? Or a combination of the two?
    A combination of the two. It has to be useful first and foremost. It has to be stable, run the apps I want, and be somewhat integrated. All of the apps I now run integrate into Gnome, but I don't know about other DEs. Last time I tried XFCE and Openbox they did not have the functional integration that Gnome has.

In terms of pretty, it just has to support a certain level of customisation so that I can satisfy the aesthetic part of my needs. My current DE is really, really ridiculously good-looking as Derrick Zoolander would say. Trouble is the underlying system is unstable. I want my OS to be as good looking as it can be while still being stable. I don't want Clearlooks window borders to be the best I can get. That may be enough for some people, but not me.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Stable...
    *buntu...Mint... Fedora... antiX... Slackware... Debian... CentOS... Arch... Gentoo... Debian
    Pick one after trying them. We'll help you out with it.
    To say that Ubuntu and Mint are stable is simply dishonest. Debian is stable but does not have the features I am looking for.

Also, rather than just list Distros, could you say what you think is good about each and why I should try them based on my needs? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    I agree that the new *buntu's are buggy as all get out. I switched to Mint13 Mate edition, but looked closely at LMDE and Zorin 6 also.
    I'm glad someone can admit that Ubuntu is buggy. I found Mint 13 MATE to be even more so. What's good about Zorin 6?

rrl
    Just Joined!
    Have you run any distro that is stable enough for you to start with?

Just Joined!
    10.10 was completely stable, and it was able to make Gnome 2 look really nice. If I have to go back to it, I will. But I'm gonna try a few recent distros and see if I can't find something that both looks nice and is stable.

rrl
    Just Joined!
    When I wrote my last reply I didnt realize there was a second page to this thread so my question seemed to already have been asked, my bad for that, but the answer is helpful.

The problem I see you running into is you find yourself most comfortable in a Gnome 2 type environment, along with the software that was designed to integrate with it. In order to change DE's and maintain the seamless integration of the software, you will have to use the software packages the were designed for the DE, as I'm sure you are aware. It seems you will have to compromise one or more of your ideal situations if you can't find a recent distro that is stable.

I relate to you in that I like my desktop looking pretty and I got used to 10.04, and 10.10., and the lightwight DE's dont really do it for me. I don't much like Unity or Gnome 3. Like I said before, I am currently running 12.04 with MATE, but I don't have stability issues or crashes, which is why I thought your rig might be the issue. You don't think so, I have to accept that.
    Mate very closely matches Gnome 2, and it has the Ambiance theme you like but like you said it's meaningless if it's not stable for you.

Have you been able to run any of the current distros, and test them on a different rig for stability? Especially your 1st choice?

rrl
    Just Joined!
    What series is your graphics core, and what driver do you have installed? I Know you said Intel GMA HD, but what series? Is your graphics recognized as Intel, or unknown? Do you have any issues with your display ie, resolutions problems, graphics tearing, blurry text, etc.., besides the crashes and freezing?
    Last edited by rrl; 08-07-2012 at 10:59 PM. Reason: clarity

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast