Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Any ideas? It seems that there is a problem with the current selection of distros. Some are very nice and have cutting edge DEs like Gnome Shell etc, but they ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I want a stable alternative to Ubuntu that will have WiFi support

Any ideas?

It seems that there is a problem with the current selection of distros.

Some are very nice and have cutting edge DEs like Gnome Shell etc, but they crash frequently and are a bit slow on my PC.

others dont have enough support for things like WiFi and are not so integrated as Gnome with apps going into the panel etc

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I could try next?

Thanks.

Hello and Welcome!

You could try one of the other *buntu flavors, such as Lubuntu or Xubuntu.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Kubuntu. It has a lot of good things going for it. It's stable, well documented, supports lots of hardware and I love the KDE interface. If I ever do switch to another distro for the code base it will have to have a KDE desktop.

rrl
    Just Joined!
    I am running Precise Pangolin 12.04 and just recently installed MATE. I prefer Gnome 2/KDE style DE right now over the Unity or Gnome 3 styles, so MATE is a good alternative for me.
    I've been trying to get more familiar with UNITY, but I have issues running it in 3D due to my NVIDIA card (9600 GT), so I am relegated to 2D for the moment.

What are the specs of your machine? What is your ideal distro and DE? You mentioned frequent crashes, and sluggishness, what distro and DE were you running when this occured?
    Last edited by rrl; 08-05-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: spelling error

I'm using Mint with IceWM. A smokingly fast window manager with all the ease of use and utilities of an Ubuntu based distro. Might work for you.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rrl View Post
    What are the specs of your machine? What is your ideal distro and DE? You mentioned frequent crashed, and sluggishness, what distro and DE were you running when this occured?
    ASUS K53 Intel Core i3, 3GB RAM, Onboard graphics

My ideal distro would be Ubuntu with Gnome shell but its buggy and crashes. Im actually looking for something pretty slick and integrated - i.e. Pidgin, Rhythmbox et al all seamlessly integrate with Gnome shell, but the DE itself is horrifically unstable. I can deal with slower loading times due to the DE being at the upper end of what my specs can deal with, but I dont like freezing and crashing. Having to press the power button to restart my PC is something I associate with Ballmer and Co.

That said, I don't mind going for something a bit less slick as long as its 100% stable, but not at the cost of all integration. I'd also prefer it not to look like crap, if possible. Debian Stable had such an awful installer that it completely put me off. Ive heard awful things about Fedora and getting WiFi working on it (though the latest version has Gnome Shell). I tried Mint 13 MATE and it was also buggy (i.e. Skype didnt run properly on it).

I'm not sure what else to say. I want a genuine desktop alternative to Windows that runs smoothly. 10.10 was pretty good for its time, and I may yet go back to using 10.04 LTS, but surely there is something a bit more updated and slicker, right?

I consider Gnome Classic to be OK, provided it can be made to look good. Most stuff - i.e. Clearlook - looks like something from my 1980s childhood, I'm sorry. Ambiance and anything that looks better than that are bare minimum.

Have you run what you have already with a minimal window manager? All are easily installable through package manager and will show up as a sessions choice when signing in. That might help you determine if your problems are related to Gnome's resource requirements or if it is something else.

rrl
    Just Joined!
    My assessment is your integrated graphics is most likely the source of your performance issues when running the 3D environments. Reading this Intel GMA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, your graphics subsystem doesn't have its own memory. It uses main system memory, sharing the bus with the CPU causing a performance hit. I've read you should have at least 512 MB of dedicated video memory to run in 3D, Unity or Gnome. Do you have the same buggy performance in Gnome-Fallback, or Unity 2D?

About the aesthetics of a Gnome-Classic style DE, a couple of things I do to make it more appealing is changing all the font sizes to 10 or 11, and the font to an arial style type face. I do this in Firefox as well. I find the default sizes to be to big and cartoonish, in a bad way.

Overall, I think your hardware will keep you from your ideal situation here. You can access the Unity sidebar while running Gnome-Classic, so you don't have to lose the added functionality of the HUD when you fallback if didn't know.
    Last edited by rrl; 08-06-2012 at 02:27 AM. Reason: I can't spell

Just Joined!
    Performance is not bad at all, most of the time. These systems are just buggy, and will crash whatever the specs of the computer. Look at the sheer number of threads of people complaining about them and how many of these people have high-end graphics and all the rest of it.

Rather than argue about the merits of running Ubuntu with Gnome Shell on this system, I wanted to hear about possible alternatives. Bottom line is that if a system, graphics card included, can run Windows 7 smoothly, it ought to be able to run a half-decent Linux build. How I classify those builds is a mixture of aesthetics, functionality and stability, and tbh I've not yet found something with balance.

I think many of those who are responding here are missing the point. Rather than just say "Try Xubuntu", I'm wanting to hear about whether its possible to have the integration and the good looks I want from an OS. Last time I tried XFCE (ca. 9.04) I was horrified. Who wants to use something that looks so bad? If it's made leaps forwards then I can't see it from the screenshots I've found thus far.

As a yardstick, I want something that looks at least as good as Gnome Classic with Ambiance, but is far more stable and at least as integrated. Not using Ubuntu variations at all would be handy, since I think Shuttlecock and Co. are taking that distro in a negative direction. With the release of 10.04, I thought Ubuntu would end up becoming the best OS on any platform but its just way too unstable. Yet Debian etc is such a ballache to configure to be properly functional, integrated and pretty enough.

Thanks for the ideas so far, but I'm looking for a radical solution to a frustrating problem. Can anyone help me?

Since you seem to want something that looks and runs like Windows 7, why don't you just run Windows 7?
    jayd512 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast