Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I have a dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 laptop for work - we are supposed to use Windows, but I use VMs and found that Ubuntu could run ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu will not run anymore, not even from Live CD

Hi there,

I have a dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 laptop for work - we are supposed to use Windows, but I use VMs and found that Ubuntu could run the same Virtualbox VMs at 40% faster than Windows (using the same benchmarking tool within the VM). I also prefer being in Ubuntu and have things setup nicely there (or did!).

So I kept being prompted to upgrade to 12.04 and thought, ok I will. The upgrade failed for some reason - it didn't say it had, but it wouldn't boot up. I searched the Web and found other people with the same issue, so downloaded the Live CD and followed instructions after booting the Live CD. When rebooting, it now fails on any version of Linux available in GRUB. The Live CD itself will not boot anymore - this is strange - why would this no longer boot? Makes no sense whatsoever!

I am at a stage where I am happy to kill the partition - I have all my VMs and important files on an external drive or online, so happy to just get Ubuntu installed. I am almost considering a different distro to see if I can get something booting up...

FWIW, when I boot the Live CD now, I get a tiny text prompt that fully says this:

BusyBox v1.18.5 (Ubuntu 1:1.18.5-1ubuntu4) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) _

Any ideas? It's the first time I've had a working Live CD suddenly not boot without any hardware changes...

I am certain that the upgrade screwed it as everything worked fine before that point and I used it every day.

Thanks,
    S

Linux Newbie
    Try this: boot up fails. drops to initramfs prompt 12.04 - Ask Ubuntu
    Basically, it looks like several people have had this issue and it is related to a bad superblock. The other option if you want to blow it away (which I don't think you need to) is to boot in to windows and format the partition then boot to the LiveCD. I would go with the first option.

Just Joined!
    I had even more trouble when I took the CD out as I no longer had a GRUB boot menu! I researched how to fix that, but all that gave me was a working grub prompt which was not helping too much at this point. I had now lost my Windows boot-up and the Windows CD could not repair it either...

So in the end, I tried my Ubuntu 11.04 installation CD and reinstalled - all back to normal with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.04.

I am scared to try 12.04 on this machine again now! I guess 11.04 is pretty decent to be honest, I didn't have issues with it at all so maybe I will just wait until my next laptop before trying the latest and greatest... I just like new stuff is all

ubuntu 12.04 is a zombie of the living ubuntu 10.04. It may look the same, but will suck your brains out trying to deal with it.
    Registered Linux user #526930