Find the answer to your Linux question:
everything was good until i changed a file in /etc/init.d I would think that if i changed the file back it would be fine but I cant figure out how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ubuntu wont boot - initramfs

everything was good until i changed a file in /etc/init.d

I would think that if i changed the file back it would be fine but I cant figure out how to get to /etc/init.d. when the OS boots, i get to (initramfs) prompt. how can i fix this? the actual OS not on the raid.

thanks
    Last edited by sixteenornumber; 08-09-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Linux Guru
    You should be able to do it with the Ubuntu LiveCD. Boot the CD, create a mount point for your root partition, mount it and open a text editor as root (sudo gedit) and navigate to the file to make the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    ...open a text editor as root (sudo gedit)...
    Code:
    gksudo gedit
    Sudo has a tendency to crash / hang / act weird if you use it to open a GUI in root.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    Code:
    gksudo gedit
    Sudo has a tendency to crash / hang / act weird if you use it to open a GUI in root.
    I'm srsly not trying to start anything here, but in ~6 years of using Linux pretty hardcore I've heard this argument, and never had percussions because of it.

I run my update manager via 'sudo update-manager' - edit things via 'sudo gedit' - etc. Though yes, when dealing with GUI interfaces, gksudo is the correct way.

On a separate note, without thread jacking, is gksudo or GTK tool? Or should it be used to launch KDE apps as well?