Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, This morning when I switched on my computer there was this problem : Everytime I log in, I see a black screen for like 2 seconds then it goes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Can't login into Linux!! (NoobHelp)

Hello,
    This morning when I switched on my computer there was this problem : Everytime I log in, I see a black screen for like 2 seconds then it goes back at the Log in menu. Since 9am I'm looking for a solution... Could I get some help? And the most easy way please because I'm a newbie ! Thanks for reading... And excuse me for the errors, english is not my first language !

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Was your system working properly previously? If so, what did you did just before it started to exhibit these symptoms?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Yes, it was working proprely. Well... I didn't do so much, I was on the internet and trying to install a tar.gz file. Could it be the problem ?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I suppose it is possible. Were you trying to install it as root, or sudo?

Just Joined!
    I think it was sudo. I'm not very friendly with root

Sudo is just a way to do stuff as root without logging in as root. So, please tell us precisely what you did. To install a source package from a gzip'd tarball, you have to unzip/untar it (usually using "tar -zxvf filename.gz"). Then, normally, you will have to cd into the installation directoy, run the configuration script "./configure", run "make", and finally "sudo make install". Most source packages will install into /usr/local to keep from munging the system up - a good thing for noobs who aren't 100% sure of what they are doing. If, however, you specified the configure option "--prefix=/usr", then you have well have hosed your system...

So, tell us just what you did, what the package was, where you got it from, etc.

Just Joined!
    Ok so I don't realy remember what I did, but I'm pretty sure I didn't unzip/untar it... I think I was only searching on Internet how to install those file and typed what I founded. The source of the file wasn't on the official ubuntu website (ubuntu.fr), but I'm sure it's not that file's problem because I didn't get it to install... (YES I'm a noob at this) So I think I typed something to make it not work. I'll try to find it and answer you as soon as possible!

Just Joined!
    I finally founded something. I founded the website that I used for typing commands, and I'm sure it's this one. But I don't have the permission to post it. I need at least 15 Posts, but I'll try like this:
    http : // www . commentcamarche . net /faq/1328/-linux-installer-les-programmes-gestion-des-paquets-compil
    (remove the spaces) The website is in french... But at least you can read the commands. And I don't know which of them I used... I'm not sure.

Linux Guru
    The site you linked to is an undated general guide to install software on Linux. It would be a good idea for you to indicate what package you were actually trying to install and where you got it. As far as I could see, this website just gives general instructions and there is no actual software to download. It is a good idea to install software from the repositories of the distribution you are using, in your case Ubuntu. Do you have the most recent Ubuntu release - 12.04? If so, you should have the Software Center available to install software. You can also use the "apt-get" command which would install from the same source.

As indicated on the site, there are different methods used for different distributions such as Fedora, Slackware, Debian and Ubuntu. Do you recall which section of the page you used? Near the bottom under (ASTUCES - CONSEILS) there are some commands for tar.gz files. Is that what you used?

I would suggest as a new user when you are doing new things like installing software, you keep a pen and paper handy and make notes of the steps. It's time consuming but generally not as time consuming as having everything go wrong and trying to repair it.

I'm not sure that your dealing with the tar.gz file is actually the cause of your problem, might be? I've read posts by a number of users who logged in on Ubuntu or its derivatives in recent releases and were taken back to the login screen as you described. Unfortunately, I don't remember the solution(s) but if I find any I will post. The link below gives a solution at least one person used. Don't know if it will be applicable in your situation. You could try googling "Ubuntu fails to login" for similar posts and hopefully find a solution.

[ubuntu] Login fails and returns to login screen - Ubuntu Forums

Just Joined!
    No, I did not download the package from this site. This is just the "tutorial" I used. My version is 12.04. And yes, I'm sure I used those commands (near the end). And I'm sure that's not the file's problem. I'll try to find something with the "Ubuntu fails to login" and the post, and see what it does. Thanks for your help !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast