Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a 8GB USB drive. I am facing performance issues in terms of : - ubuntu takes a lot of time to load. - ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu 12.04 on USB

Hi,

I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a 8GB USB drive. I am facing performance issues in terms of :
    - ubuntu takes a lot of time to load.
    - firefox freezes for 5-10 secs, and it ocurrs very often. (firefox is updated to ver 14)
    - basic applications like shell also freezes.

I am open to any suggestion, so that the performance gets better.

thx

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, you are running a Live USB instance, or did you install a full Ubuntu distribution on the USB drive, as though it were a hard drive?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

have installed full Ubuntu distro on the USB, as though it were a hard drive..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok. Running systems directly from a thumb drive is not really a good idea, other than for the portability factor. The biggest issue is the swap space, and the fact that solid state devices such as thumb drives or SD cards have a limited life-span in terms of the number of times a sector can be rewritten. This can be a serious issue with swap space and log files. If you want a portable USB device to run Linux on, then I would suggest that you install it on a portable hard drive, which can be had in various capacities, and about the size of an ipod.

there's no swap space on that 8G usb drive, and yes its for portability factor.
    i am open to your suggestion in boosting the performance.

thx.

Well, the performance of USB thumb drives are extremely varied. As some wag once said, "you get what you paid for". Myself, I use class 10 SD cards in a USB carrier. Those have the best available performance, and these days an 8GB card will cost you about $5 USD. You can find 32GB class 10 cards for between $15 and $20.