Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Good People!! i've been using ubuntu for more than a year as main os.am running a dual booting with windows 7 on my laptop.so far so good. i've been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy I can't see my Desktop anymore, Home folder showing rather

Hello Good People!!

i've been using ubuntu for more than a year as main os.am running a dual booting with windows 7 on my laptop.so far so good. i've been downloading glassfish through netbeans 7.1.2 and i've noticed that the path was wrong so i cancelled the download.

i've restarted the download with the correct path again from add server of netbeans.i connection dropped to i cancelled the download again but at that time, netbeans hanged, not the OS. after some time it output like 40 or so alert window.i've also noticed from the task manager that the memory was growing so i decided to terminate the process.

After doing so i've seen that my skype logged me out with some red I/O reading exception. I've decided to restart my machine. when i did i couldn't see my desktop anymore only home appears instead of my desktop. i tried creating another launcher with the command:
    Code:

Code:
    joseph@joseph-off-lap:~$ gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/Desktop --create-new 
    gnome-desktop-item-edit: file:///home/joseph/Desktop does not have a .desktop or .directory suffix

i booted from my pendrive copied the desktop folder from it to my /home/joseph. and after i rebooted nothing has changed only home appears there.
    How do i fix that? thanks for reading

Linux Newbie
    do you still have a Desktop directory

RE: I can't see my Desktop anymore, Home folder showing rather

Hello @Highjo
    Id suggest starting with gnome session fallback:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    Then try one of the following arguments instead of create desktop (just go through them in this order until one works):
    Code:
    sudo lightdm; startx; sudo startx; or sudo gdm
    Also set that as the last entry in your system crontab.

Cheers!
    Nomi