Find the answer to your Linux question:
Still trying to fix all these screwy Nvidia / Optimus issues. I decided to go whole hog and recompile the kernel to the latest stable(3.5.2), along with a bunch of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hanging on recompiling kernel

Still trying to fix all these screwy Nvidia / Optimus issues. I decided to go whole hog and recompile the kernel to the latest stable(3.5.2), along with a bunch of other stuff.

But, my system is hung at
    Code:
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.5.2 /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.2
    after running
    Code:
    sudo make install
    It's been "running"(?) for about an 1.5 hours now. The tutorial says it's "doing a bunch of stuff in the back ground and could take a while".

How long is a while?

Am I having issues? Or should I just go to bed and check it in the morning?

Check in the morning. dkms is for ndiswrapper/windows stuff.

In case you don't know.

GNU/Linux support

Nvidia itself has no plans to support Optimus on GNU/Linux.[4]

When there is no software mechanism in place for switching between graphics adapters, the NVIDIA GPU cannot be used at all, even if an installed graphics driver would support it.[5] Some older computers contain a BIOS setting to manually select the state of the hardware multiplexer to switch output between the two video devices. However this setting is not anymore part of the current Optimus platform
    Nvidia Optimus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

read about the Bumblebee Project also in that webpage under the GNU/Linux support.

So, You probably won't get no joy out of

Still trying to fix all these screwy Nvidia / Optimus issues. I decided to go whole hog and recompile the kernel to the latest stable(3.5.2), along with a bunch of other stuff.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Thankx, I'll check in the morning.

I got bumblebee working a while back, but it won't do what I need because you can't run VMs in optirun. It's unstable and crashes constantly.

I found a hack to "bypass" Optimus and run straight of the card by exporting my x-server to external monitor. (Kind of sort of / I don't feel like typing it all up right now / maybe if it works.)

But, there is a conflict between the version of VirtualGL that Nvidia uses and Virtualbox. I need both to pull off what I'm tyring to build.

So, I'm hoping that if I get the lastest kernel, latest VirtualGL, latest Nvidia driver, latest VirtualBox and use the bypass hack that everything will friggin work. Otherwise I've dropped 2k on a box that won't do what I want it to do.