Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to figure out a way to get dual monitors on Ubuntu 12.04. I am using a laptop and it works with HDMI --> TV VGA --> Monitor I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dual monitors - ubuntu 12.04

I'm trying to figure out a way to get dual monitors on Ubuntu 12.04.

I am using a laptop and it works with
    HDMI --> TV
    VGA --> Monitor

I have two of the same monitors and want to get the second one working somehow.

I bought this item: See2 UV150

It works for Windows and Mac, but does not support Ubuntu. Is there a way to get this working or does anyone have a better solution?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Go to the display configuration utility (System->Preferences->Display) and select twinview. If your display hardware is nVidia and you have the proprietary nVidia drivers installed then select System->Preferences->"NVIDIA X Server Settings"->"X Server Display Configuration".
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Go to the display configuration utility (System->Preferences->Display) and select twinview. If your display hardware is nVidia and you have the proprietary nVidia drivers installed then select System->Preferences->"NVIDIA X Server Settings"->"X Server Display Configuration".
    It's not detecting the usb to vga display. It needs drivers installed, but since I'm on Ubuntu it won't detect.

Would I be better off going hdmi to vga?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sorry, but I didn't realize the UV150 was a usb->vga dongle. I'm not surprised that there is no Linux support for it. Yes, you can use HDMI->VGA adapters/cables, but assuming your system has a single HDMI port, then you need a splitter cable or adapter. There is a lot of that sort of cruft on buy.com's site, and generally at good (varying) prices.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!