Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello all, got a new-used fancy printer at a good deal. It only comes with a USB cable. I plugged it in and ran the 'printer configuration' system. Everything seemed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Brother MFC-7340 Muti function printer - Kubuntu

Hello all, got a new-used fancy printer at a good deal.

It only comes with a USB cable. I plugged it in and ran the 'printer configuration' system. Everything seemed ok and it did recognize the printer and I went through the next couple screens. Once I tried to print a test page, nothing.

I opened a document and tried to print..nothing. I am showing a printer icon on the top bar. I have searched but I am coming up with many answers. To be honest I always worried about getting a printer to work with kubuntu, but I would like to try. My partner is trying to get me to switch to windows now I have a small business, but I much prefer to stay with Kubuntu if I can get the printer/copies working from it.

I am here asking for help because some of the stuff seems really complicated online. I know it was 'seen' by the computer configuration and I hope it is something easy.

Thank you

Try using CUPS to configure the printer as this guy did: USB printer in Kubuntu? - Mombu the GNU Linux Forum

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hagfish52 View Post
    Try using CUPS to configure the printer as this guy did: USB printer in Kubuntu? - Mombu the GNU Linux Forum
    I have CUPS installed in synapic but I do not even know what it is ? I cannot find in in my applications menu.

Ideas?

Just read the example I gave you a link to. All you have to do is enter http://localhost:631/printers/ in the address bar of Firefox, and then answer the questions CUPS asks you.

Just Joined!
    Hello, I have used CUPS. I sees the correct printer when I add printer, but when I get to the drivers section I cannot find the correct one listed. MFC-7340

So I go to the brothers download page: Brother Solutions Center : Brother Driver for Linux Distributions and downloaded all 4 options available but none of them work, it returns this error: 'unable to copy script interface'.

I cannot find a PPD? file for my printer?

any ideas?

A couple of versions back there was a bug report that mentioned an error message similar to that one. Check and see if the directory /etc/cups/interfaces exists. If it doesn't, go ahead and create it, and then try the printer driver installation again.
    Last edited by hagfish52; 08-21-2012 at 07:45 AM.

You would want to try the two drivers in "deb" format.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hagfish52 View Post
    A couple of versions back there was a bug report that mentioned an error message similar to that one. Check and see if the directory /etc/cups/interfaces exists. If it doesn't, go ahead and create it, and then try the printer driver installation again.

Hello, could you point in the right direction how to do this? where should this directory be?

Also the 2 deb packages will not install because they are 32 bit and I have a 64 bit system. I cannot find the 64bit drivers on the brother website

To check and see if the /etc/cups/interfaces directory is there, open Terminal and type

Code:
    cd /etc/cups
    ls
    "ls" lists the contents of the directory /etc/cups. If you don't see the interfaces directory there, you will have to create it by typing:

Code:
    sudo mkdir interfaces
    Actually the LPR and the cupswrapper deb drivers should work on your 64-bit computer, but you have to install ia32-libs first:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    A lot will happen after you enter that command. To go into the driver installation in more detail, first download the cupswrapper and LPR drivers with Firefox. Firefox usually puts things in the Downloads directory. In Terminal:

Code:
    cd /home/YourUsername/Downloads
    You can use "ls" to make sure the drivers are in the directory.

Make sure your printer is turned on and the usb cable is plugged in.

Install the LPR driver:

Code:
    sudo dpkg  -i  --force-all brmfc7340lpr-2.0.2-1.i386.deb
    Install the cupswrapper driver:

Code:
    sudo dpkg  -i  --force-all cupswrapperMFC7340-2.0.2-1.i386.deb
    Check to see if the drivers are installed:

Code:
    sudo dpkg  -l  |  grep  Brother
    Check your printer on the cups web interface by entering "http://localhost:631/printers" in Firefox's address bar.
    Check if the Device URI of your printer is "usb://Brother/MFC-7340"

If the device URI is different, go to "Modify Printer" of your printer to select the proper device and driver.

If your printer is not listed on "http://localhost:631/printers", go to "http://localhost:631/admin" and click "Add printer" and select the proper device and driver.

Just Joined!
    Hello, thanks for the details. here is the output of the first terminal command. I just want to know what I am seeing and make sure before I do the other steps.

Code:
    yanek@yanek-HP-G42-Notebook-PC:~$ cd /etc/cups
    yanek@yanek-HP-G42-Notebook-PC:/etc/cups$ ls
    classes.conf        printers.conf    ssl
    classes.conf.O      printers.conf.O  subscriptions.conf
    cupsd.conf          raw.convs        subscriptions.conf.O
    cupsd.conf.default  raw.types
    ppd                 snmp.conf
    yanek@yanek-HP-G42-Notebook-PC:/etc/cups$ ^C
    I am not sure what I am seeing there

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast