Find the answer to your Linux question:
I did a fresh install and it looked ok. added the ati propriatairy driver. better still. did like 350 updates. still ok. a few days later 55 updates were ready. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Minor graphical glitch after updates

I did a fresh install and it looked ok. added the ati propriatairy driver. better still. did like 350 updates. still ok. a few days later 55 updates were ready. I was skepticle but im the type to just update all. (who sifts thru 55 updates?) well lots of linuxers...

SO after the updates no real issues just when I go to the menu on the left for the first time each log in the word for what the button does messed up.

it looks like this. raised from the background with a shadow underneath. no words. 100%transparent.
    if I move my mouse OFF the button and back on it appears normal

its pretty minor and probably specific to my hardware so I have little hope of it being fixed and since Jumped into mint13MATE.

but if it can be fixed... how would it be?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Not sure about Ubuntu/Debian's aptitude/apt-get, but RedHat/Fedora's yum can downgrade (revert) a package that is causing a problem to the previous version, which I have done for reasons much like yours in the past. FWIW, VLC is one of those. The latest doesn't handle audio volume changes correctly.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!