Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I was recently given a machine which turns out to be a useful Quad-core Opteron with 4GB of RAM. It also has 2 x 250GB SATA drives configured as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation onto RAID

Hi,

I was recently given a machine which turns out to be a useful Quad-core Opteron with 4GB of RAM. It also has 2 x 250GB SATA drives configured as a RAID 1 array. This is a hardware RAID setup.

I tried installing Ubuntu 10.04 but it could not write to the RAID array.

Next I thought, well maybe 12.04 has better drivers, etc. This installed first time so all was looking good.

When it rebooted, I got a prompt:

Error: Out of disk.
    GRUB Rescue:

I have followed various guides on how to fix this, but none of them seem to work. If I use the Live CD and try to mount a device I get "mount: unknown filesystem type 'nvidia_raid_member'

I'm not hugely bothered about RAID, but seeing as it is all setup, I thought it would be good and was going to use this machine as file & print server using Linux.

It's confusing how the install was fine, but it cannot boot, then cannot understand the filesystem?!

Any help appreciated.

S

Just Joined!
    Ok, so I seemed to have solved this issue with a radical approach - I say that because I'm neither a RAID expert nor a Linux expert...

I noticed that when trying to reinstall Ubuntu, I could only select /dev/sdb for the boot record and there was no /sda which I would expect. I made a complete guess (and I am still probably wrong) that the boot record (or something pertaining to the boot-up sequence) is required to be on /dev/sda. So, I went into the RAID BIOS utility and noticed that the 2nd disk was the first one listed in the mirrored array - was not sure if this is ok, but I deleted the array and rebuilt it by putting the first disk first and the second disk second!

Reinstalled Ubuntu 12.04 and on reboot it came up nicely. Quite strange, the fix seemed to be my pedantic annoyance that someone would put the drives into a RAID array back to front!