Find the answer to your Linux question:
I re-installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my new hard drive but I can not connect to the internet through my external serial modem. I put the phone number DNS numbers etc. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I need 8.04 dial up help, please!!

I re-installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my new hard drive but I can not connect to the internet through my external serial modem. I put the phone number DNS numbers etc. into the connection boxes but the modem does not dial out automatically as it did in the past. It has been so long since I last did this that I figure that I must have left something out. Anyone have any advice about this, please!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Thank You, Rokytnji! I have done those things. Somewhere in Ubuntu 8.04 is the application that automatically connects a serial modem to the internet when the modem is turned on. It ran for years on my computer but for the life of me I do not remember where it is.
    Last edited by cousinlucky; 08-24-2012 at 03:37 AM.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

This article describes how to get gnome-ppp working on Ubuntu 10.04, but should work on 8.04 too. How to get an old serial modem working with Ubuntu 10.04 | Linuxgeek1 Blog At the bottom of the page is a link to a page that shows how to get the gnome-ppp package from a computer with a working internet connection to one that does not have one.