Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I have the Asus G75VW-RS72 laptop. I am trying to dual boot Windows and Linux. However, whenever I boot linux live cd I get a garbled up screen. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Garbled screen on boot with ASUS G75 laptop

Hello everyone,

I have the Asus G75VW-RS72 laptop. I am trying to dual boot Windows and Linux. However, whenever I boot linux live cd I get a garbled up screen. I've tried Ubuntu, Mint 13 Maya, Mint 13 XFCE, tried to run in compatibility mode. I feel like my drivers for my video card are not supported.

Here is what it looks like:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5py2pvne49...829_022902.jpg

I am booting from a 16GB pen drive. The same setup works on my other computers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just Joined!
    Does any version of Knoppix work on this computer?

It does like the drivers (not 'my drivers', I think) on those distros can't find an appropriate resolution (and sweep rates) for this Asus computer. There are various ways to approach this problem, and they all require a great deal of Linux skill. One approach would be to go through the following steps (many details omitted!!):

Partition the disk and install using a text-mode-only installer and partitioner. Some distros allow that. But do install X windows and whatever drivers the installer installs.

Set up Grub2 to boot into text mode.

Xorg -configure in the /root directory. This generates a basic xorg.conf file in the /root directory.

Research what to put in the xorg.conf file. You will need to put stuff like this in xorg.conf:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "ATI Technologies Inc Rage XL" # the proper driver should be identified by Xorg -configu
    Monitor "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 1
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 4
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection

.. and so on. The actual numbers depend on your screen dimensions in pixels and the color depth it will handle.

In the Monitor section, you may need to specify horizontal sync and vertical refresh ranges. That will require some research.

When that works, move the file into /etc/X11/ with the correct name "xorg.conf".

I generally make this work, eventually. There are some other tricks I don't know about, that others may know about.

The Internet and Google and Internet pages for your computer and Linux version may be of help.

Good luck!

Linux Newbie
    If you have an asus laptop and it is old and it is using an nvidia graphic card, try adding the "nopat" and "nomodeset" (leave off the quotes) kernel options to the boot parameters.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by voidpointer69 View Post
    If you have an asus laptop and it is old and it is using an nvidia graphic card, try adding the "nopat" and "nomodeset" (leave off the quotes) kernel options to the boot parameters.
    Thank you both for the info.

I will try to do this. But the laptop is only a couple weeks old and it's a i7, 16GB ram, with a Nvidia 670M 3GB.

Linux Newbie
    Maack,

Since you have a nvidia card, do try to get the proprietary nvidia driver installed. Even their "generic" one for older cards (so-called "legacy drivers") work better than the free "nv" or "nouveaux" ones.

I *always* set "nomodeset" for nvidia cards. The "nopat" is to do with memory mapping technique. Have a look in the Xorg.0.log in /var/log. You can often pinpoint what the problem is from what X logs there.

Cheers - VP