Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my machine along with Gnome 3. In both Unity (2D) and Gnome, the mouse clicking is erratic. It often takes several mouse clicks to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    xit
    Just Joined!

Mouse clicks behaving erratically in 12.04

I recently installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my machine along with Gnome 3. In both Unity (2D) and Gnome, the mouse clicking is erratic. It often takes several mouse clicks to accomplish the task of pressing a button. Dragging windows around also behaves badly, it's as though while dragging, the mouse click event is triggered and the window maximizes, or the window is dropped and stops dragging.

I have searched forums for this behavior and haven't found anything yet.

Anyone experience this behavior or have some suggestions on what I should try?

I have recently run the latest updates.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Is this a USB mouse, or is it a wireless one?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

xit
    Just Joined!
    It is a USB mouse.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by xit View Post
    It is a USB mouse.
    It sounds like the system is missing interrupts. Have you tried another port or usb controller (most systems have at least 2 usb controllers. Some ports are on one, and others the other).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

xit
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    It sounds like the system is missing interrupts. Have you tried another port or usb controller (most systems have at least 2 usb controllers. Some ports are on one, and others the other).
    Okay, I have to be more thorough now. I have an odd setup because I just seem to push the boundaries. I have an Ubuntu 12.04 system with two monitors (Big screen TV, and Wacom Cintiq 21UX). I also have a hardwired USB keyboard and mouse near the Cintiq and a wireless keyboard and mouse on my sofa where I control my computer for everything else.

So, it seems that this issue might be specific to my setup, perhaps a conflict with the wired/wireless. The problem is that it is now somewhat intermittent so difficult to debug. I will continue to experiment and see if I can isolate what might be causing the behavior.

Thanks for the suggestions.