Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have just done the above and would like to know how to make the most out of this OS. Thus far I have been able to visit a few ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Just installed UBUNTU version 9.04

I have just done the above and would like to know how to make the most out of this OS. Thus far I have been able to visit a few websites like Google search, Face Book and this forum. However I could not get to my gmail due to "old browser" firefox.
    I converted my old Pentium III (circ year 2003 machine) which used to run on Win Xp home.
    I will post issues I may be facing from time to time, via this forum and in advance I thank you guys for any help.
    Obviously the immediate concern is for me to upgrade to the latest version. Will I be able to do this step by step ie from version 9 to 10 and then to 11 and so on. or will it be possible to go straight away to the latest version -- version 12 is it?

oz
    forum.guy
    The easiest option in my own opinion would be to dump the older version and do a fresh install using the latest release (which is now up to 12.04) because fresh installs are nearly always preferable to upgrades. To get the most out of the OS, install it, configure it, use it as per your needs, and don't hesitate to experiment with it and dig down into the inner workings to learn more about it.

Hope you enjoy working with your new distro...
    oz

Linux Guru
    You would have to go step by step as I understand it: 9.0 > 9.10, 9.10 > 10.04. etc... which is going to be very time consuming. Also, you have an older computer with a Pentium III so you might check the minimum requirements for Ubuntu 12.04 at the link below. You may be better off with a more minimal distribution:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/install...are-reqts.html

As mentioned, 9.04 is out of date and no longer supported. With your older hardware Lubuntu or Xubuntu would run better, or go to distrowatch.com and do a search on older computers to see what will run on older hardware. AntiX, crunchbang, and several others are always good bets for older hardware.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    "...do a fresh install using the latest release (which is now up to 12.04)..."

Hi guys,
    I managed to find the booklet of my old cpu. Its ACER aspire T310, which features Intel Pentium 4 Celeron CPU. System memory can be expandable to 2 GB, with a probable upgrades to High Capacity HDD, high level memory and install additional interface cards.. It also has a 3D quality audio system via on board audio controller.
    My immediate concern is I have NOT been able to download the latest 12.x UBUNTU, as during the process of downloading, i got a Download Error Message as follows;

" There is not enough room....... Remove unnecessary files....or try saving in a different location"

Would upgrading to High Capacity HDD and high level memory be a worthwhile step to take? Presently Ubuntu 9.04 is the only OS on my cpu, and a few document files which have just been created during the last few days. I have removed the Windows XP and an old version Mandriva from the CPU. Presumably there is nothing more there to warrant a "not enough room.." case.

Looking fwd to your responses with thanks.

A lot depends on how much ram you have, as to which distro you can run. Ubuntu, as opposed to Lubuntu or Xubuntu, may need more ram than you have. As to hard drive capacity, it depends on what you have on your hard drive. If you store a lot of pictures, videos, movies, or songs, you would need a larger hard drive than if you just kept a few dozen documents. If you are getting warnings of being out of space, a larger hard drive would probably be of benefit to you. As long as the hard drive has room for all the stuff you store on it, plus about 10 gigs for your operating system and programs, it is large enough.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot for your enlightenment on this issue.
    I am in the process of looking for a distro that can run on my existing spec.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by mhismail View Post
    I am in the process of looking for a distro that can run on my existing spec.
    If you have the 2 GB of RAM that your machine can handle as indicated above in post #5, I think you will probably be fine (although it might run slowly) with the latest full edition of Ubuntu, which is now up to 12.10, but if you have less RAM than that, I'd recommend going with a lighter weight distro.
    oz

Just Joined!
    OK, Oz. I have downloaded Puppy linux (on to a CD ) as its only a relatively small file (about 130mb). I did burn the iso image and it failed to boot - ie when asked to boot from CD, the computer somehow bypass the CD and booted fron harddrive. Again, this puzzles me. How do I check what actually went wrong - either during download or the process of bios setting. By the way on this ACER machine F12 is the keyboard key to get to the bios setting.

Just Joined!
    How did you burn the image?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast