Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hullo. I had OpenOffice installed on my machine (running Ubuntu 12.04), but now i have removed OO, and am trying to install Libre Office. However, when attempting to do so, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unmet Dependencies when trying to install Libre Office

Hullo. I had OpenOffice installed on my machine (running Ubuntu 12.04), but now i have removed OO, and am trying to install Libre Office. However, when attempting to do so, I keep getting error messages saying that I have unmet dependencies. When I open a terminal and try
    Code:
    apt-get -f install
    I get the following:
    Code:
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /var/cache/apt/archives/libreoffice-common_1%3a3.5.4-0ubuntu1.1_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    Any help would be grateful. Thanks.

Try using Synaptic, it may pick up the dependencies better.
    Registered Linux user #526930

apt-get man page

dpkg man page

aptitude man page

Some things that can help clear up issues like this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    Tells apt-get to fix any broken installs and can also be run with the -m (missing) switch:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f -m
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install -f
    Variations on install with the -f and -m switches also work with aptitude. Play with both apt-get and aptitude, each has their strengths and weaknesses.

Code:
    dpkg --configure -a
    Tells debian package manager to try all possible methods it has available to repair dependancies. (Be careful, just b/c it will "fix" an issue with a dep does not necessarily mean it's "good" for your overall system.)

Code:
    sudo dpkg -C
    This will tell dpkg to audit your dep tree and it will make suggestions on how to correct issues if it finds any.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    Updates your system, a lot of times that will fix issues. (Note: the -f and -m switches work with "upgrade" as well and come sometimes help resolve issues.)

Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep libre-core
    I'm not at a terminal right now (working from memory) IIRC libre-core is the meta-package for office (you can always use "sudo apt-cache search libre" to be sure) and build-dep does just what it says: Builds dependencies.

I'm a noob and I've picked up these tricks and licks through Google and trial and error. They've shown some results, but are no gaurantee. I've had trouble getting help resolving borked dep trees. Hopefully this will help sort things out. This is not a step by step, but will give you some good tools to chase down the issue.