Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone! I don't have a lolt of experience with Linux. I had previously installed Ubuntu on my laptop (dual-booting with windows xp), but now I need to remove it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trouble with uninstall/GRUB

Hello everyone!
    I don't have a lolt of experience with Linux.
    I had previously installed Ubuntu on my laptop (dual-booting with windows xp), but now I need to remove it because I must give the laptop to my mother.
    I deleted the partition, but rebooting the computer causes an error : no such partition; grub rescue>
    I tried a lot of things, nothing worked.
    One thing that gets me out of this screen is booting Ubuntu 11.10 from a usb stick, but now I don't know what to do to correctly remove Ubuntu/Grub and be able to boot Windows XP again.
    I DON'T have the XP Installation CD.
    Thanks for the help!

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

Deleting any Linux partitions and restoring your Windows bootloader should remove all traces of Linux. Microsoft has posted instructions for restoring their bootloader on their website. If you don't have the Windows XP install disk, there are some liveCDs you can use to restore the Windows bootloader. The SuperGRUB liveCD (or liveUSB) used to work for doing that, but I've not used it in quite some time so don't know if it still works.
    oz