Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Firstly I thought that it was a problem with display drivers or something (still might be) because no matter how i tried to boot ubuntu it would never show on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Primary monitor (Laptop Monitor) won't work right in ubuntu

Firstly I thought that it was a problem with display drivers or something (still might be) because no matter how i tried to boot ubuntu it would never show on the monitor from the moment I installed it. But eventually I tried plugging in an external monitor and it just acted as a mirrored monitor and I was able to access ubuntu this way. But no matter what I do in the display settings I can't figure anything out. I also want to point out that every time I apply new monitor settings the monitor that DOESN'T work flickers on for a second then stops working again. It works just fine in windows 7.

Please help me if you can, I have a feeling there's a simple solution to this annoying problem

Specs:
    CPU: Intel Pentium T4500
    Display: Mobile intel 4 series express chipset family
    Ram:2GB DDR3
    running ubuntu 12.04 64 bit
    need any more info tell me

I don't think the display drivers are working correctly because I tried to look it up and it said there were none, but I could not for the life of me find the driver I need (and i thought all intel drivers were automatically detected by ubuntu)

Thanks for your time
    Last edited by alun; 09-04-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: revision

You might try the manufacturer of your laptops website. They sometimes use proprietary drivers for their notebook screens. The chipset on the mother board may be Intel, but the screen may need its own driver.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    All the files on the website says its for windows 7 though (I tried to post the link but it says I need 15 posts or more to post links), is there still a way to get this to work? There aren't any monitor drivers but there's a driver for the chipset. Sorry i'm not that experienced with linux.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm no command line commando, perhaps someone who is can tell you how to change your x windows settings or use a different screen driver. When I encountered this problem with a Toshiba laptop, I tried 30 to 40 different distro's and found 3 that worked with the proprietary screen settings. I chose the one I liked best and stayed with it until the laptop bit the dust.

Just Joined!
    That's something I would normally consider doing but it isn't my laptop that I installed ubuntu to, its my girlfriend's and she seems to be dead set on ubuntu, haha. She isn't a computer wizard and I think its user friendliness would be good for her.

Ok. Try hooking up to an external monitor and see if you can complete the install. Then update with the restricted extras and additional hardware drivers. You might even find that they have added a driver that works to the kernal, when you update.

I found this on the Ubuntu site in their forum.

[all variants] Sample xorg.conf for 1024x768 24bit with vesa driver - Ubuntu Forums

Ubuntu Manpage: vesa - Generic VESA video driver

Also, what is the make and model of the laptop? HP, Acer, etc.

Just Joined!
    The laptop is an acer aspire 5736z, and I already completed the install with wubi (and the external monitor works, but still no avail on the laptop one. I'll try the vesa stuff when I get back from class in a couple hours. Thanks for your help

Just Joined!
    actually I tried to find xorg.conf to edit it because I already have vesa on her laptop, but I couldn't find it in the specified location or doing a search. will be back from class soon.

Just Joined!
    I'm still having this problem, about to give up but show me that I have at least one last ray of hope?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast