Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I'm trying to set my work computer up so that I can switch it on and use it from home. I have everything working so far except the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Activate VPN Through SSH Problem

Hi guys,

I'm trying to set my work computer up so that I can switch it on and use it from home. I have everything working so far except the last step:

1. SSH into the server here.
    2. Use etherwake to switch on my Ubuntu machine (saved as a shell script)
    3. SSH into my machine.
    4. Switch on the VPN to our ISP (connecting to our servers only works via VPN from our IP address, hence why I need to do this).

Command to up the VPN: nmcli con up id [VPN-Name]

The command works when I'm on my computer, but when I log in via SSH, I get this error:

'Connection activation failed: Not authorized to control networking.'

From what I've seen from Googling, only root and physical users have this permission, but I can't find where/how to grant this to remote users. And the command doesn't work at all when I run it as root.

Any ideas?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Do you have sudo privileges? if so, then try "sudo nmcli con up id [name]". You might also look into the remtty tool.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Yep, I can use sudo, but it fails with a completely different kind of error if I use that. When I googled that one, people said it was some kind of bug running the nmcli thing as root through SSH.

I'll look into remtty and see if that'll help me out. Thanks