Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to scan a barcode consisting of a program filename. I want to be able to scan the barcode to populate the 'open' dialogue box and then add ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Barcoding filenames

I am trying to scan a barcode consisting of a program filename. I want to be able to scan the barcode to populate the 'open' dialogue box and then add a scanner based carriage return. This will be used to open a program file to run a cnc machine.
    I have done this in the past with some success using a Honeywell 3800G scanner. I am now trying to use a Honeywell Hyperion 1300G scanner that I was supplied with by my customer. This is supposedly a direct replacement for the 3800G. I have contacted Honeywell tech support and they said that the 1300G has not been tested with Linux and therefore is not supported. That brings me here.
    When I scan a barcode created from 'o' (which will bring up the open dialogue box), it works fine. Then if I scan another barcode consisting of the 'filename', most of the time it will populate the 'open' dialogue box. If I combine the two, 'ofilename', I have several issues.
    1. It will bring up the 'open' dialogue box, but will not populate the filename.
    2. The dropdown menu will change from 'continuous' to '.1'
    3. The currently selected axis will jog by the amount in the dropdown.
    Anybody out there have any ideas on what I can try? I currently have the scanner set up for default values, which looks correct for my application. I am using Code128 barcodes.

Thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    How are you interfacing the scanner to the system, and what software is using it? I suspect that you need to add an inter-character delay so that the callback functions can be dispatched before the rest of the data arrives.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I am using a Honeywell scanner (3800LR, I think). I am using the scanner with Linuxcnc (Axis) software and you are correct about the delay to prevent dropped characters. This has been working very well for barcoding program filenames and it sure beats the heck out of searching through file folders.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by beltramidave View Post
    I am using a Honeywell scanner (3800LR, I think). I am using the scanner with Linuxcnc (Axis) software and you are correct about the delay to prevent dropped characters. This has been working very well for barcoding program filenames and it sure beats the heck out of searching through file folders.
    So, I presume you already found that to be a solution! Sorry for the delay, but September last year was a busy time for me - I didn't spend a lot of time on the forums, so I missed your post until I decided this weekend to help trim the backlog of 0-reply forum posts!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!