Find the answer to your Linux question:
I bought a computer from a friend. It worked and ran windows 7. I installed a ssd to help get some boot speed and wanted to try linux. I downloaded ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot get linux to install!!!

I bought a computer from a friend. It worked and ran windows 7. I installed a ssd to help get some boot speed and wanted to try linux. I downloaded the cd and burned it on my mac and my computer wont even recognize its there. I then tried downloading and burning on my pc and same thing still wont recognize it. I put a windows disc in and it instantly ecognizes and starts install. I feel something is wrong with my disc. I just downloaded it and burned it straight to a disc. Any help is appreciated I have been trying this for a few hours. Thanks

Did you download the ISO image? Did you burn the image, or copy it? To work as a live cd, or installable cd, it has to be burned as an ISO image, not copied. Once you have a burned ISO image (don't forget md5 sum to insure it downloaded right), make sure your computer is set to boot from CD, insert disk, and restart your computer. The computer should then boot from the ISO image. Most distro's give you several options, try without installing, install, memtest, and I forget what else.
    Registered Linux user #526930

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

Check the following article for the steps to properly download an ISO file, burn it to disk as an image, and then boot your new Linux installation CD:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

Let us know how it all goes...
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies. My problem is definetly the fact I didnt burn the image as an iso. I am going to try again when I get outta work. I am just having trouble trying to figure out how to burn an image with my mac. Ill let you guys know how it goes night.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by blankwall View Post
    Thanks for the replies. My problem is definetly the fact I didnt burn the image as an iso. I am going to try again when I get outta work. I am just having trouble trying to figure out how to burn an image with my mac. Ill let you guys know how it goes night.
    If you continue to have trouble using an install CD, you could always try making a bootable install USB stick. As long as the computer is new enough to boot from a USB storage device then it's just a matter of pulling up the BIOS menu when the system powers up and change the boot device order. And since it's new enough to support SSD drives it should work fine.