Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all Linux enthusiast. I am back because i have finally rooted my phone and i now tether to my computer via usb So first let me explain my Internet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

system upgrade via tethered phone

Hello all Linux enthusiast. I am back because i have finally rooted my phone and i now tether to my computer via usb

So first let me explain my Internet connection in depth so you can really suggest what i need.

I am tethered via usb to my lg optimus q. I get my service through straight talk and i connect to the sprint network. My Internet connection is slow because i am limited where i can put my phone being that it is tethered via usb.

This is the problem i dont want to use tons of data and have my phone turned off, but i also wanna upgrade my system running ubuntu 10.10 to 12.04 lts.

What is the most data effective way to do this?

I would also like to essentially strip the desktop environment (whether it be GNOME or Unity probably GNOME since my graphics card sucks) and replace it with a less resource consuming DE like xfce.

Then i would like to be able to i guess not start x on boot so it would boot into terminal and then from there start x so i can use the GUI if i so choose.

If anyone can point me to or give me any info on any of these subjects it would be much appreciated!

Thanks Weller

Just Joined!
    champ_weller,
    wondershaper is an application that allows you to control the upload/download speeds of an interface, to avoid using too much data at once. This will also drastically slow down your connection, depending on how much you limit your data. wondershaper is in the default apt repositories, so it can be installed with apt-get.

As an answer to your second question, you can enable or disable gdm's start at boot using the update-rc.d command.

To disable:
    Code:
    sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove
    To re-enable:
    Code:
    sudo update-rc.d -f gdm defaults
    You can also start and stop it manually with:
    Code:
    sudo service gdm start
    and
    Code:
    sudo service gdm stop
    There is an entire thread covering this at ubuntu forums, but Linux Forums isn't letting me post links right now. It can be found with a google search for "remove gnome from startup."

If you decide to replace GNOME or Unity with XFCE or LXDE, you can also use update-rc.d to remove and add them from startup. However, you will need to replace gdm with their default display managers. (I think XFCE uses gdm as well, but I'm not sure about LXDE.) You might also want to skip the display manager altogether and configure your X server to start your desktop environment of choice upon execution of the startx command.

Good Luck,
    willnoit