Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to this forum and I want to figure something out. I've built an Ubuntu machine using Ubuntu Desktop 11.04. After I saw it was nearing the end of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Intermittent Wireless issues after 12.04 lts update

I'm new to this forum and I want to figure something out.

I've built an Ubuntu machine using Ubuntu Desktop 11.04. After I saw it was nearing the end of it's cycle I updated to 12.04 lts. And that's when it all started.

My hostapd using D-link DWA-552 wireless card w/ the ath9k driver is only starting maybe 50% of the time. Clients seem to be able to connect and authenticate but no traffic is passed.

This ping from the ubuntu machine to my client android phone summarizes my problem.

PING 2.2.3.4 (2.2.3.4) 56(84) bytes of data.
    From 2.2.3.1 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
    From 2.2.3.1 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
    From 2.2.3.1 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
    64 bytes from 2.2.3.4: icmp_req=4 ttl=64 time=230 ms
    64 bytes from 2.2.3.4: icmp_req=5 ttl=64 time=33.0 ms
    64 bytes from 2.2.3.4: icmp_req=6 ttl=64 time=56.5 ms
    64 bytes from 2.2.3.4: icmp_req=7 ttl=64 time=74.8 ms
    64 bytes from 2.2.3.4: icmp_req=8 ttl=64 time=96.8 ms
    ping: sendmsg: No buffer space available
    ^C

A packet sniff reveals just ARP traffic flowing unanswered and still no actual data is passed.

No apparent errors are generated in /var/log, dmesg, kern.log, or syslog. And the spotty reproducibility of the problem makes it particularly difficult to troubleshoot. Sometime it boots and works great! Weird.

Things I've tried.

Adjusting the hostapd configuration file. Itís started with the rc.local script. And I've even gone as far as removing WPA2 encryption with no luck. But as of now the config file looks like this.

interface=wlan0
    ssid=DebianLinux
    hw_mode=g
    auth_algs=1
    channel=1
    ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
    macaddr_acl=0
    wpa=2
    wpa_passphrase=******************
    wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP

Iíve tried raising the wmem_max. Thereís no indication this is even the problem. But I though Iíd try it because it seemed to fix some people with the same issue.

echo 83886080 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max

Comparing the /proc/*hostapdpid* from a working state to a non-working state. This was also a dead end.

Additional build details listed here.

Linux 32bit
    Kernel version: 3.2.0-31-generic
    GNOME 3.4.2
    AMD phenom II X4 840 processor
    2 GiB DDR4 RAM
    80 Gib OS disk ext3 w/ 3 GiB Swap
    2 Terabyte RAID1 array w/ XFS
    Onboard Gigabit Lan on eth1 (Intranet)
    NC100 on eth0 (internet)
    GeForce 8400 GS
    SSH w/NXserver
    Samba

I realize this may have little to do with hostapd. It seems maybe more like a kernel level problem, or perhaps a poor choice of architectures giving my hardware and needs. Rebuilding is a last resort giving the RAID1 array.

I'm very patient and see this as a learning experience. If anyone has any advice on where to go next I'm all for it.

Cheers,

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Don't use 12.04...? 11.04 unfortunately is not an LTS (Long Term Support) distribution, which 10.04 is. Can you revert back to 11.04 or 10.04? Not the answer you want, I'm sure, but many people I know that are using 12.04 are also having problems, mostly in the wireless domain. One possibility is to check on Welcome - Linux Wireless and see if they have any advice for your WiFi hardware on Ubuntu 12.04.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply! I can revert back. I did a partimage of the OS disk before I updated. I didn't think there would be any easy answers to this one. Thanks much appreciate.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by buzz07 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I can revert back. I did a partimage of the OS disk before I updated. I didn't think there would be any easy answers to this one. Thanks much appreciate.
    Then I suggest that you check out Welcome - Linux Wireless - they have helped me sort out a lot of wireless issues for multiple systems in the past!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!