Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I've got a dual boot linux/windows box that has various automation scripts. One of the Windows scripts carries out tasks over 3 reboots. I'd like to adjust grub ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub2 - Assume new boot order for next n iterations?

Hi all,

I've got a dual boot linux/windows box that has various automation scripts. One of the Windows scripts carries out tasks over 3 reboots. I'd like to adjust grub so that Windows becomes the default option for those 3 reboots.

Is this possible from within Grub2 or am I better off just changing it to Windows by default and then changing it back to Linux from a mounted partition in Windows?

Many thanks,
    Sam

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

Don't know for sure, but take a look at the following Arch wiki page and see if the "recall previous entry" option would work for your needs:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...previous_entry
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the link, but I don't think it quite works for what I need.

By default, I'll want the machine booting into linux. There will then be a set event that will trigger the machine to boot to windows, that bit is easy as I can reorder grub2 from linux.

The bit I'm stuck on, is either changing grub back to default into linux from within windows, or telling grub to only boot to windows for 3 consecutive boots.

Under Grub1 I used to have a partition with all of the grub files inside that I could view in Windows. I would then simply swap the lst files around. To my knowledge, Grub2 has now made this impossible?

Cheers,
    Sam

GRUB2 uses grub.cfg file instead of grub.conf or menu.lst. grub.cfg file is write protected too. Have you tried to create a copy of grub.cfg and edit it the way you want?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First